Question for you IT guys

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bluharley, Jan 20, 2015.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

A couple weeks ago I started using a VPN service. The modem I have now is non-addressable. I figured the only way my ISP would know what I'm doing online is through hardware. So today I get a letter from my ISP telling me my modem needs to be replaced, and their new modems are addressable. I don't know enough about this technology to know if this will affect my VPN service. So...what say you?

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

The access to the VPN is only dependent upon you having the ability to connect to the VPN concentrators port. Once you are connected everything is encapsulated, and typically encrypted, within the VPN tunnel. Your ISP doesn't need addressable hardware to know where you are going and/or possibly doing. They can monitor your traffic on the wire. Whether or not you have addressable hardware, you still have an IP associated to your connection; as well as a unique MAC address. I work 100% from home and use a VPN to cnnect into the Corporate network; my ISP can see that I connect to the VPN concentrator but the traffic is contained inside the VPN tunnel and they can't see any of that.

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

Thanks! Probably pisses off the ISP.

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

The ISP won't give a darn.. it is just a connection to them. Being encrypted is no different then HTTPS websites. As long as the VPN is for legitimate purposes and not something illegal they will care less.

5. bluharley

bluharley Member

I'm just paranoid! And $40 for a year of VPN sounded great. Does slow things down a bit....well....a lot, but I have time, it's no different than running Windows.

6. One other point.

Even with a VPN, the ISP can see how much bandwidth utilization you are at (i.e. how much data).

So, check to see what your contract says about bandwidth limits.

Also, if you start pulling down 30+GBs/day, you will draw a red flag on their system. What they do because of it will depend on your contract.

7. bluharley

bluharley Member

They are giving me a refund because my current modem has restricted my speed. I guess I haven't reached my limits yet:D