Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Lurker, first post.

I’ve acquired a monkey version of the 995, should have it in a few days for evaluations and had a couple of questions. I’ve spent several days trying to go through the search functions, but haven't totally found a complete answer to my question.

I purchased this gun as a long term project since it’s missing the rear sight and to take it and restock it and change the looks. My original plan was to put an ATI stock on it, and put a long picatinny rail on top ,such as from long shot, to make it look somewhat like the ATI A.5.10.1450 Hi-Point Proline Stock with Aluminum Rail System that you used to be able to get from Cops Plus. Just liked that version visually. And then do an Afghan Desert camo job on it.

However, after reading about warnings with issues with the ATI stock, I'm starting to rethink this. I have found some posts, and perhaps there are more that I’m just not finding, with my search skills about issues on people having no issues at all with the ATI stocks and others with major issues with using the ATI stocks.

Is there really an issue with putting the barrel assembly into the ATI stock and that it doesn’t properly support the action, or that it’s too stiff or not? I don’t want to purchase the ATI if there are issues in the long run. The whole issue of “too rigid a stock” is strange, for that’s exactly what you do to make a bolt action rifle more accurate. Other posts say it doesn’t support the action properly and allows it to eventually jump back over time seem to be comments from Hi Point, not from actual users.

Help.

If this is a major issue on long term reliability with putting the action into the ATI , then I may just order a new stock from Hi Point after I'm able to test the gun out and ensure it operates correctly. If I go this way, I’ll most likely go with a JS Arms Co. ar15 butt stock adapter as time permits and do a different build concept. Or along one of the other folding butt stock concepts others here have done. The cost of the ATI and the new Hi Point TS stocks are about the same.

This is intended to be a test run before I get the 4595 and change the looks on that gun.

Thanks for the comments and help. I’m relying on the wisdom of the group to hopefully save me some $ and patience in the long run.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Is there really an issue with putting the barrel assembly into the ATI stock and that it doesn't properly support the action, or that it's too stiff or not? I don't want to purchase the ATI if there are issues in the long run.
Hi Point says that there are issues. HP says that it damages the Breach Block over time and that their technicians can tell just by looking at the damage that it was caused by being in an ATI stock. There was some rumblings that HP would not warranty 995's which were damaged by being in an ATI stock but I think that's probably at their discretion because I've never heard of HP refusing to warranty a HP gun, even if it was reduced to cinders in a fire (no, literally burned to cinders in a structure fire).

I don't know if it would make it more accurate or less accurate. But I do know that HP says that it will damage your gun in the long run and that you shouldn't do it.

You might consider one of the TS stocks from Hi Point. I don't know that the the bullpup stock would fit the 995 "Classic" but I can't imagine that it wouldn't, so that might be an option as well.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
35,994 Posts
I have the ATI stock on an old 995, it is plenty accurate. Don’t have enough rounds through it to speak about longevity.

Problem is....finding an ATI stock.

IMHO, you’d be better off doing the TS Stock and chopping it up.

All that said....I still like the feel of the old monkey stock better than the new stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I actually have access to a new ATI stock. I'll continue to think this over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I guess I forgot about the aspects of blow-backs and buffering. Duh.... I'm used to gas, bolt and pump rifles, and semi auto pistols.

Still looking forward to what I can with the old girl once she gets here. There have been some very creative builds done by the membership here. I'm betting I end up with more than one of these.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question on the ATI stock. Is the grip any smaller in circumference that the standard Hi Point TS stock?

Thanks again,

Robert

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
One more question on the ATI stock. Is the grip any smaller in circumference that the standard Hi Point TS stock?
EDITED

Don't know about the circumference of handhold, but if too small there's lots of color/camo type wraps out there that can fatten it up and still keep it original for if in future you want to resell the stock. I was about to say to use a Mike's or other maker's rubber stretch handle grip, but then thought of the connection rib that makes it not work.

Like some others have said, HP has come right out and said, they can tell when an ATI stock has been used on one of their carbines. It apparently comes with how the receiver shows wear marks and abusive to action that won't be covered by warranty from using. They've kept it hush with how they know. Will they still warranty it if it needs repairs? That's for MOM to say.

Now, one does have a couple options. One is to purchase a TS stock that will be a direct replacement with the "original classic" stock. Two is to get a Bullpup stock that is available from Hightower. Just save your original stock to replace when sending in carbine for warranty work(if needed).

I wouldn't use the ATI stock if I was you, knowing what MOM has said about it and warranty work, but I don't own your gun, so take the knowledge and do as you see fit.

Myself, I do like the ATI stock over the factory classic stock.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Id be intetested in buying the monkey stick if the mag catch works as it should.
If you call MOM, I'm sure they'll send you the catch/spring and anything else listed to work with it, to you for free. Just call 419-747-9444. Yes I have the phone# in my phone just for this reason as I've needed parts for my HP's. MOM sends things out free all time to HP owners. Some owners have gotten new firearms if it can't be fixed if you send it in, and others get back almost like new guns after they fix it with new parts they deem need replaced. Have serial # handy so they know what catch and other components are needed for your model.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

Thanks again,

Robert
The grip on the ATI stock is larger in circumference than either of the Hi-Point stocks, similar in shape to a Glock style grip.
The stiffer ATI stock comes with a rubber insert that must be used as a buffer. The softer HP stock just uses their stock as the buffer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys.

As for the grip question, I was wanting a smaller grip than the standard Hi Point has. Two females in my house, with smaller hands.

I'm not sure about the bull pup stock. I like the look of them, but I've not been impressed with the triggers on bull pups I've handled. I was able to handle a couple of nice ones this week, an Iwi Tavor and the SA80 ( L85A2) and the triggers where OK, not great, but not as bad as I expected. I grew up with pretty heavy triggers, but with the already challenged Hi Point trigger, I'm concerned of exacerbating an issue. Not that I'm expecting this to have a 3lb crisp pull like my 7mm/08 hunting rifle. I also don't want the rifle to be so heavy that my 14 YO daughter doesn't like it. At 8lbs in the bull pup, that is a concern. I already have a single shot 9mm carbine project I'm working on that she loves to shot.

I'm actually rethinking about even pulling this rifle out of it's monkey stock. The look is growing on me. With the impending doom and collapse of our society, it may fit in with our new over lords. Ops, that was that movie :)

I may just leave it as is and get MOM to send me the missing rear sight assembly. And just purchase a new 995TS and mod that one up and to fight that urge for the 4595TS....Having the barrel already threaded would make it easier if I move forward with a suppressor. I hope to be able to pick the old girl up on Tuesday and perhaps have time to look it over, clean it and go to the range. If not, it will be next weekend before I get to fire it.

Here is a picture of the old girl. I'm hoping that the previous use of the Pro Mag hasn't hurt the old girl too much. I have a new Hi Point mag for her initial run.

On another note, I saw where someone modified the 20 round redball for the 45ACP to use with a 1095TS. No issues. They made a change to the top of the clip by bending it slightly. You can find a video on Youtube.

Thanks again for being helpful to a newcomer.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Guys. I actually have access to a new ATI stock. I'll continue to think this over.
How much is an ATI stock. The newer stocks from Mom are under $90 the last I checked. I kinda like my original 995 just the way it is. Rear sight assembly could be free from Mom if you call and ask. I bought a used C9 that was missing all kinds of stuff and it supplied me with everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Twobits,

I can get a new ATI stock for $85 shipped. A new Hi Point TS replacement stock is $62 shipped. Mom told me to call with serial number and they will send me the missing parts for free, which is great. Thought it would make it today, but still in process with USPS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
price not to bad for the ati i think i paid over 100 when i got mine but thats been awhile still shoots great no problems as of yet also stashed away my monkey stock have all part still my hp995 is my economical carbine compared to what we spent on the beretta cx4 storm and more fun to shoot

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I could just find 9mm bullets at reasonable cost I would shoot mine more. But I am pretty good shot with it so don't need to practice a whole lot.

·
Premium Member
35,994 Posts
If I could just find 9mm bullets at reasonable cost I would shoot mine more. But I am pretty good shot with it so don't need to practice a whole lot.
Oooohhh....that might get some people fired up.

Reactions: moona11
1 - 20 of 33 Posts