Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am going to order some cast bullets to try. Please before anyone says just cast em yourself I don't have the facility here or money to buy the setup equipment at this time and i use a Lee Loader so I don't have a bench mount for sizing anyway. Ok that out of the way..I normally run jacketed 230gr round nose for my .45. I have a choice of 200 or 230 gr RN from where I'm ordering from just going to try a small order of 100 to see if I like them. My question is with the lead is it better to go with the lighter gr or what? Or does it not make much of a difference . Again this will be my first reload of non jacketed and I don't know a great deal about lead only bullets. Am I going to run into more fouling also? Any info as always is appreciated. Also I haven't trid anything but RN in my .45 and they cycle nicely would a SWC etc work ok or do they present feed problems (I think my initial order will be RN but I'm curious)

Edit to add: I forgot are most cast bullets bevel base I ran into one caster who was touting a flat base as being far superior. true? Or hyperbole for sales?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I would go with a RN in the 230gr. I have cast quite a few and that is what I have worked with. Make sure you get some SOLID load data for the lead. DONT use a recipe for a jacketed round.

Other than that make sure when you order the RN that they come sized and lubed... Most do but just make sure.

If you need some load data feel free to PM me and I can give you the Info I have .

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok also which diameter should i get they offer .451,.452 or .453 how do I measure my bore and as I understand it the bullet be .0005 to.oo1 larger then bore, correct? So how do I check?

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
The bullet weight you decide upon wil not have any effect on leading. Lighter bullets take slightly more powder than heavier bullets. I prefer the 230g because I like a heavy bullet and the damage it does to a target other than paper. If your punching paper it will not matter.

To size your barrel you'll have to "slug" it. This is done by either taking a lead bullet and driving it from the breach outward of the end of the barrel using a wooden dowell and a hammer or buying a special alloy that you heat and pour into the barrel and then dump out immediatly as it solidifies. I did neither. My mold casts bulets that are 0.452 and they load up and work great in my JHP. Lead bullets will size themsleves to the bore and oversized bullets cause less leading than undersized.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah 2TN Mules, I figured I would just go with the .452 as it is middle of the road and I read somewhere it was the nominal size for .45acp. Thanks for the info everyone and don't be shy reading this and posting still the more info I have the better.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
The bullet weight you decide upon wil not have any effect on leading. Lighter bullets take slightly more powder than heavier bullets. I prefer the 230g because I like a heavy bullet and the damage it does to a target other than paper. If your punching paper it will not matter.

To size your barrel you'll have to "slug" it. This is done by either taking a lead bullet and driving it from the breach outward of the end of the barrel using a wooden dowell and a hammer or buying a special alloy that you heat and pour into the barrel and then dump out immediatly as it solidifies. I did neither. My mold casts bulets that are 0.452 and they load up and work great in my JHP. Lead bullets will size themsleves to the bore and oversized bullets cause less leading than undersized.
ill argue that one with you on the grounds of undersized bullets lead more because the hot gasses atomize the side of the bullet and deposit it on the barrel as it goes down it. now a slightly undersize bullet wont, but a grossly undersize one will. A .449 bullet will do this while a 450 may not depending on your barrel.

SW

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
if you are target shooting those SWCs sure make a nice hole & easy to spot fm a distance. But for a more general purpose rd i agree, the bigger the better.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
SW, I don't see that we have a disagreement? Correct to slightly larger is better than smaller is the general rule isn't it?

PS: your 995 recipe is working great. Finally got some magnum SP primers and can't wait to try them out.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
i meant the part about smaller bullets leading less. gas cutting will lead way more than just oversized bullets will. oversized just leave a smear of lead on the leading edge of the rifling, while gas cutting deposits it everywhere in the barrel.

SW

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Internet confusion, we are in 100% agreement on this. Guess my 1st post was confusing? I am all in favor of oversized boolits because I've cleaned up after undersized ones.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
LOL,

I'm always getting bitten, one way or another. ^-^

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
About 15 years or so back my brother was reloading 230 grain lead round nose .45 ACP. I'm thinking he used W231, loaded it to get 850 FPS. Cycled and chambered just fine. Let us know how it works out.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This may be a stupid question but can you shoot cast lead bullets in a high point?
Many here do without any reported problems thats why I'm going to try it. 8)

Edit to add: :welcome:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Ok I am going to order some cast bullets to try. Please before anyone says just cast em yourself I don't have the facility here or money to buy the setup equipment at this time and i use a Lee Loader so I don't have a bench mount for sizing anyway. Ok that out of the way..I normally run jacketed 230gr round nose for my .45. I have a choice of 200 or 230 gr RN from where I'm ordering from just going to try a small order of 100 to see if I like them. My question is with the lead is it better to go with the lighter gr or what? Or does it not make much of a difference . Again this will be my first reload of non jacketed and I don't know a great deal about lead only bullets. Am I going to run into more fouling also? Any info as always is appreciated. Also I haven't trid anything but RN in my .45 and they cycle nicely would a SWC etc work ok or do they present feed problems (I think my initial order will be RN but I'm curious)

Edit to add: I forgot are most cast bullets bevel base I ran into one caster who was touting a flat base as being far superior. true? Or hyperbole for sales?
I have loaded some SWC with my Lee Loader and I really liked them. Very accurate shooters. I had to make the OAL a little shorter for them to feed well though. The only thing that bothers me about the SWC is that they are funny looking. I'm not sure why that bugs me, but it does.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
They make really nice pretty holes in the paper though...

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
A ret. NYPD friend says they used to load WC's for BGs... before they had all the fancy projectiles we have today. Apparently they make anone a 'bleeder' pretty quick with that clean hole they punch before they start to deform...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts