Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im thinking of geting into reloading. i like the Lee reloader press, item number 90045. its their simplest press. my question is i have seen several people on vids that use the press the reprimer the casing and not a hand tool. they resize the casing then place a fresh primer under the casing and push the handle of the press forward away from them, this make the casing go down and on to the primer. will this press do that? also i plan on getting a 9mm soon. what powder do yal recommend that i use for it? i also have a 38 special that i will be reloading, what kind of powder would you use for it?? thanks

dale

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I got the Lee Turret Press with the auto prime but didn't like it as well as hand priming, so went back to hand priming.

As to powders there are many to choose from, Unique, Power Pistol, W-231, Red Dot, Clays, etc, etc. Best advice I can give you is to get a reloaders manual, My favorite is Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition, by Richard Lee. It has tons of good basic information for starting out and tons X 2 of reloading recipes. For powders you'll have lots of choices and the book will help. Each powder mfg also has load recipes on their web sites. I have been using HP-38 and W-231 in both my 9mm and 45acp.

Note of caution, please do not use load data you come across on the web by random posters like "SuperPowerOwlKiller". Stick with the data in manuals or manufactures web sites.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The correct answer is that the press you are looking at does not come with a priming tool. However, there are a number of options available from Lee that will enable you to prime on the press if you want. The Ram Prime (90106) is the mos basic. You have to manually insert each primer and the pull the handle to seat it in the case. The Auto Prime II (90107) is what I went with for my Lee single stage press. You can load up to 100 primers in a pan and the unit will fill automatically feed them while you are pulling the handle up after seating a primer in a case. The nice thing about both of these options is that the shell holder that comes with your dies will work with them. If you choose to go with the handheld model (90230) you will have to purchase a special set of shell holders (90198) for it. Nothing wrong with the handheld units though as they work great!

That said, I was going to say that moving up to Lee's O-type press would be a big improvement without much money. However, I don't see the older, inexpensive model offered anymore! :( If you can find one they used to only run about $40 for just the press or about $80 for a "Aniversery" starter kit. The O-type press is more stable than a C-type if you are reloading large cartridges, especially rifle cartridges. When I played with the C-type press that a friend had I found that it had enough give in the design to cause my overall cartridge length to vary more that I cared for. And that was with 9mm luger cartridges! Most people I know only use the c-type presses for decapping and then do the rest of the work on another type of press.

I hope some of this helps!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the C-press is also usefull for sizing cast bullets with the lee push through sizing dies. i use an O press for all my reloading chores. i use a lee handheld primer but i break handles fairly often. i think its more due to how i use it than anything else.

SW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts