Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went by my favorite gun shop today, where they normally have Hi-Point Pistols and asked about a .45 They are no longer stocking them, but will special order, because they are too big?! I have a C9 and am wondering just how much more difficult it is to handle the 45. Any comments will be welcome as I want to buy the .45

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have thte JHP and a Kimber Stainless 2 1911, physical size ia a little different. The weight is pretty close... a little heavy. I would definatly reccomend the JHP, I love mine. I love the weight and the balance, the slight recoil, and the ease I have bringing it up on target. My wife has issues with the weight, however she likes shooting the JHP and not the C-9, but LOVES the .380. If my wife can handle it well you should have no real issues. Hope my experience helps.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
+1 for the JHP.

I'm a small guy (5'6") & all my family is waaay smaller, they can all shoot it with ease and reasonable proficiency, including my wife (though her fibro makes her want to not do it very often) and 13yr old son who is barely to my shoulders.

Even with small hands it seems to point well, but always needa keep an eye on that front sight.

The recoil is very managable, prolly cuz the slide is so dang heavy most of the recoil is absorbed.

I NO LONGER recommend the hogue grip for it though, not unless you have unusually large paws. I was having trouble keeping shots tight at IDPA & one of the guys said my gun was too big for me. I took the Hogue OFF - bingo! It's factory all the way now! (except for the 1911 mags, dang they are EASY to convert!)

yup, +1 the JHP imho.

·
57 Posts
I bought my JHP in January and am glad I did. Its lots of fun to shoot and recoil isn't that bad. I've only shot about 50 rounds through it, but no problems right out of the box. For HD I'd definitely go with the .45.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ugly is right, nobody in my family has had any issues shooting my JHP! Im not exactly small at 5'10" 250lbs but most of my family is. And for keepin an eye on the front sight, there is no doubt about that. Im looking to make all mine bright yellow for easier visability. With any firearm you need to keep a clear front sight picture, you keep that in mind and your gonna be alright. I was a pretty decent shot before I learned that one, went to a few schools at Blackwater in NC, they drilled it into us and I never scored more that 3 points out of perfect score for my proficiency shoots after that. I really think your gonna love the HP .45, it is a great weapon.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I went by my favorite gun shop today, where they normally have Hi-Point Pistols and asked about a .45 They are no longer stocking them, but will special order, because they are too big?! I have a C9 and am wondering just how much more difficult it is to handle the 45. Any comments will be welcome as I want to buy the .45
Hard to know what to tell you. My buddies 13 year old daughter like shooting mine, but my wife would prefer a smaller pistol. My best advice is to find a way to hold one. Then you will know. The other side of the coin is, it's less than $200. How big of risk is it to go ahead and order one?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hard to know what to tell you. My buddies 13 year old daughter like shooting mine, but my wife would prefer a smaller pistol. My best advice is to find a way to hold one. Then you will know. The other side of the coin is, it's less than $200. How big of risk is it to go ahead and order one?
No risk at all.if something did happen remember it has a liftime warranty
and they send it back with a free mag.i havent sent mine in or anything but the pro's
here told me.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
It's somewhat heavy. More importantly it's top and muzzle heavy so it doesn't balance as nicely as the C9.

The recoil isn't snappy but contrary to what others have posted, I find it a bit stout. Kind of like a whack in the web of the hand.

The .40 is just right and I still like my large frame Hi-Points better than my small frame ones. They are more reliable and more accurate.

I can comfortably carry the C9 but the .45 is a challenge. I'm 5'-8" 210#.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
It's somewhat heavy. More importantly it's top and muzzle heavy so it doesn't balance as nicely as the C9.

The recoil isn't snappy but contrary to what others have posted, I find it a bit stout. Kind of like a whack in the web of the hand.

The .40 is just right and I still like my large frame Hi-Points better than my small frame ones. They are more reliable and more accurate.

What he said for the most part, but I can't comment on the .40. Comfort falls into two areas: 1) What's it like when you hold/aim it, and 2) what's it like when you shoot it?

I have big hands, but still find that the C9 fits my hand a lot better than the top/front/heavy JHP. On the other hand, I think that the C9 kicks with a sharper snap, where the JHP gives a slower, softer push-back.

As for HD, I like the heavier .45 ACP round.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

What he said for the most part, but I can't comment on the .40. Comfort falls into two areas: 1) What's it like when you hold/aim it, and 2) what's it like when you shoot it?

I have big hands, but still find that the C9 fits my hand a lot better than the top/front/heavy JHP. On the other hand, I think that the C9 kicks with a sharper snap, where the JHP gives a slower, softer push-back.

I have never fired the C9, but I went to the gun store and held a C9 and a JHP before I bought the JHP. The C9 just left me feeling like I didn't have enough to hold on to. The JHP feels great to me. I simply feel like there is no one size fits all, when it comes to pistols.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
... still find that the C9 fits my hand a lot better than the top/front/heavy JHP. On the other hand, I think that the C9 kicks with a sharper snap, where the JHP gives a slower, softer push-back.

that's my experience too.

I like the feel of a C9 very much, but I hear too many stories where whacked-out zombies keep comin' with 125gr bullets in their chests... compared to a 230gr (or 240gr HP?) which tends to knock them down. Once down they have to think about getting up again, but we all know zombies don't think very well... ;)

+1 for the .45ACP as HD (and .40 close in the running) well-worth a bit less comfort imho.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree, Delmar. I have a Glock 17 and am very comfortable with it, but it does not take an intruder long to come through the door and into our bedroom and across it. I might get two taps at him comming, but the headshot I doubt. He would be all over me with a club or a gun. I feel and sleep better now with the JHP. However, for the price, I also bought, at the same time, the JCP. They booth recoil about the same depending on load. And the recoil is not much more than my Glock 17. So, for ease of handling, I would say once you get used to the slightly louder "POP," the JCP and the JHP are both worth the money. If I DID shoot an intruder, I would rather have to replace a $179 weapon than a $500 plus weapon, wouldn't anyone? I feel the Hi-Point is just as reliable as Glock and feel comfortable with it on the night stand. As far as wearing them, the extra weight DOES get a little more getting used to, but the Uncle Mike's Size 5 seems to work for me. Fits tight against the hip and easily covered with jacket, coat or a very bulky sweater I seem to like wearing (grins). Does anyone else feel the same way?

RL

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
Gee, after reading all these posts it makes me want to go back to the pawn shop and get the JHP for less than $100 (I bet) that they have.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
I agree, Delmar. I have a Glock 17 and am very comfortable with it, but it does not take an intruder long to come through the door and into our bedroom and across it. I might get two taps at him comming, but the headshot I doubt. He would be all over me with a club or a gun. I feel and sleep better now with the JHP. However, for the price, I also bought, at the same time, the JCP. They booth recoil about the same depending on load. And the recoil is not much more than my Glock 17. So, for ease of handling, I would say once you get used to the slightly louder "POP," the JCP and the JHP are both worth the money. If I DID shoot an intruder, I would rather have to replace a $179 weapon than a $500 plus weapon, wouldn't anyone? I feel the Hi-Point is just as reliable as Glock and feel comfortable with it on the night stand. As far as wearing them, the extra weight DOES get a little more getting used to, but the Uncle Mike's Size 5 seems to work for me. Fits tight against the hip and easily covered with jacket, coat or a very bulky sweater I seem to like wearing (grins). Does anyone else feel the same way?

RL
I would never even try to CC a HP, but I'm a small guy.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I would never even try to CC a HP, but I'm a small guy.
no question HP large fraem pistols would print on my small frame. Even carrying at the range it's nearly laughable on my belt. Maybe a shoulder rig & very bulky coat...

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
C :Dould just cc in a fanny pack!
LOL! a loaded JHP may need a PACK pack, ha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got a large fram fanny pack (it gets pretty warm wearing a coat in Texas throughout the year). The pack barely holds my loaded Glock 17 and neither JCP nor JHP fit it loaded (end of slide won't allow velcro to meet! lol ). I have inherited a .44 revolver shoulder holster (vertical) and a front draw for a large frame auto. (The top draw had a smaller shoulder strap for same size and I am a pretty big guy!) So I guess it is either that second shoulder holster or the Number 5 Uncle Mike's for me. I use the insde-the-pants holster for the small of my back for the JCP since it holds the extra clip too. Covers well with a light jacket with no silhouette. Anyway, that works for me. Glock 17 in fanny pack or the Biachi paddle holster it came with. It is kinda nice walking around or driving with no wallet poking in my butt! lol RL

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just got a large fram fanny pack (it gets pretty warm wearing a coat in Texas throughout the year). The pack barely holds my loaded Glock 17 and neither JCP nor JHP fit it loaded (end of slide won't allow velcro to meet! lol ). I have inherited a .44 revolver shoulder holster (vertical) and a front draw for a large frame auto. (The top draw had a smaller shoulder strap for same size and I am a pretty big guy!) So I guess it is either that second shoulder holster or the Number 5 Uncle Mike's for me. I use the insde-the-pants holster for the small of my back for the JCP since it holds the extra clip too. Covers well with a light jacket with no silhouette. Anyway, that works for me. Glock 17 in fanny pack or the Biachi paddle holster it came with. It is kinda nice walking around or driving with no wallet poking in my butt! lol RL
uncle mike's #5 is what i got and it fits great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts