Questions about 995 in ati stock

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by BiggBadJohn, Jan 30, 2016.

1. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

What's up all I just bought another 995 carbine in an ati stock. Had one years ago and trades it off and just picked up another. When I bought it I didn't look it over well enough and just got it back out of the safe and noticed the rear shroud receiver bolt was different. So I pulled it apart to give it a good clean planning to take it out later this week and it looks like the rear bolt is thicker and the channel it runs through has been drilled out to accept the bigger bolt. It's about 1/4 inch.
    After putting it back Together it seems like the ati stock is catching the slide on its way back about a half an inch before the slide is all the way back. I thought maybe I tightened the bolt too much so loosened it and it seems better it goes all the way back but still gets hung up. What should I do? Should I try shaving some of the inside of the stock?

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I would call MoM & order a new set of receiver shroud bolts with nuts. Do not mention you have this gun in an ATI stock. The original bolts fit the ATI stock. It can be a challenge to fit them in, but they will fit. I have seen where some people had trouble & drilled the holes out to help it fit. Don't over tighten the receiver bolts. There should also be a rubber piece that fits in the stock where the block comes all they way back. If your serial # begins with a "A" it may require some additional dremel work on the stock. I have done 6 ATI conversions & the "A" series required the most shaving or dremel work.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016

3. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

Not sure if the standard bolts will work anymore. Like I said it was drilled all the way through including the reciever. the standard bolts would have quite a bit of play to them. The buffer is there in the ati stock. Might just take it out and shoot it and see what happens. Am pretty bummed I really enjoyed my first one and hope
    I don't have issues

4. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

Also Thanks for the advice I'll check the serial number when I get home.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'm not visualizing you problem very well, but I'd say take it all
    apart and look for anything catching on the charging handle or bolt.

OH, and... :welcome:biggbadjohn!!!

6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Does it have the LRHO feature?

7. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

That's for the welcome it does not have the last round hold open its old school. I think with this after market larger bolt its tightening too much and squeezing the stock where tge receiver slides back when fully tightened it slides back and stops a half inch before the slot you use to hold the bolt open. When the rear bolt is all the way out it slides back all the way but gets hung up and you have to give it a little slap to get the bolt to close again I'm at work now but I'll take pics tomorrow

8. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

9. MachoMelvin

Those are a deluxe set of bolts. The factory will send you a set for FREE. The front & rear bolts are the exact same size. I know you said that someone enlarged the holes but if necessary, you can go to the hardware store & pick up a washer & a tad longer bolt set if required?

10. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

Yeah I was thinking about maybe finding something a little longer odd think though when comparing those to he standard bolts the newer one is actually a few centimeters longer. And it's definitely thicker wouldnt even fit throug the covers holes on the front where the factory one is. I didn't get q chance to look at it again today but am starting to think who ever drilled the hole perhaps didn't drill it strait though and maybe the receiver is crooked. Need a chance to mess with it some more and I'll
    Post pics

11. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Don't shoot it without the rubber buffer, it might damage your bolt and HP supposedly won't warrantee it.
    Remove the receiver cover, put the mounting bolts back in, and see if it still binds, and where.
    It might be binding on the tab on the inside rear of the receiver cover.

12. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

The rubber buffer is in place. The cover looks pretty strait but I'll give that a try thanks for the advice. I know I've heard good things about hi points warrenty but think they would cover some jack ass drilling the reciever?

13. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

Ratchowmein you called it I cleaned up his drill work then pulled the cover tabs a little wider and now it's sliding pretty free. A little resistance when the firing pin comes out but not sticking and sliding forward fine. Thanks guys. Here's a pic of it after I added on some stuff I had laying around came with a laser mounted on the pointless comp so removed that added a barrel clamp with rails has laser mini flashlight red dot afg Allen padded sling and extended mag that supposedly works with it
    [​IMG]
    And a pic just for fun
    [​IMG]

14. MachoMelvin

There is a place in the stock under the barrel for the laser to fit. Just remove the piece of plastic. Ihad a bracket that held it securely.

15. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

With most companies, if you modify their product and your modification permanently damage's it to where it won't function properly, their warranty usually won't cover it.
    But I've never heard, on this forum, of HP not covering any repair. So who knows.
    But I don't think your problem is from the modified receiver mounting bolt anyway.

16. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Nice!
    Just shoot a few boxes of ammo through it, dismantle it, and look for wear or rub marks.
    I was talking about the mounting tab that hangs down from the inside of the receiver cover. It could be hanging too low and rubbing against the top of the bolt as it moves back and forward.
    Unless your cover doesn't have the tab.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  17. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

No I don't see any tab the screws coming through from the rear sight mounts looked like they were sticking down farther then they should but after working the action I pulled it back apart and didn't see any scratches of the top of the bolt. Hopefully I can get to the range this week sometime. Did some work to my 1911 I need to try too and got some new ar mags I need to function test. Thanks all again for the advice and help

18. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

Didn't see anywhere else for the laser to fit but the barrel clamp is fine I prefer it to the side and it's double sided so it allows me to mount my light too.

19. MachoMelvin

The ATI stock can be amazing?

Attached Files:

20. BiggBadJohn

BiggBadJohn Member

The top one with the ar carry handle is pretty bad ass