Questions on Manufacturing Rules and Regulations

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Zeus, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Hello all,

I make my living as a machinist. I mainly work with cnc, but we also have a bridgeport and tool room manual lathe I can operate as well. I also do a lot of long hand programming, CAD modeling, and some CAM work for the complex tool paths that do not make sense to be written out by hand. I am extremely fortunate to work for a small company that will not only allow me to use their tools, machines, software, etc but actually encourages it for practice and learning. I've made many parts for various things I need and was even able to make a lot of my Christmas presents the past couple years.

I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of licensing or fees would be needed in order to make some parts and accessories for firearms. Is a FFL or ITAR needed for accessories? Not a big production run of anything, but a few small runs for myself and maybe a few online. It's hard to find a straight answer from the searching I have done. Is this why joey sells his triggers as key chains? Is this why there aren't more aftermarket Hi Point manufacturers other than LongShot?

I would appreciate any light you guys could shed on this topic.

Thanks,
    Zak

2. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Big time thing in any manufacturing company is Liability. You could expect any gun that had your part in it if some thing catastrophic happened with it to draw you into Court. The gun manufacturer would blame your part no doubt.
    Though not in anything gun related, I owned at one time a Distribution company
    selling Pipe, Valves, and Fittings to Contractors around the country. All made by
    National brands. Still, I had to have a multi-million dollar Liability Policy to cover myself even against a manufacturer that tried to shed their responsibility, And, they will try in most cases.

3. I suppose that would be why the triggers are sold as key chains and why the HP aftermarket is so limited to an extant. Makes sense.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  4. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

And not just HP parts.

5. Yeah I would imagine any smaller outfit may have a hard time being able to afford any sort of liability insurance, let alone legal fees if a lawsuit was to happen.

Kind of disappointing.

I guess I'll be making paper weights then.

6. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Don't throw in the towel so quick.

Look into making 80% frames. BATF allows companies to supply frames that need that last 20% of work to function without the licensing requirements. Liability window should be smaller in that the final manufacturing is the individual's responsibility.

Google 80% lowers and read up. Lots of 80% AR15 lowers out there and a few 1911 frames. Find a niche and go for it. Improved JHP/ C9 frames would be welcomed IMHO, but lots of other ideas come to mind.

7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    What did you have in mind to make? Sounds like it wouldn't necessary be for Hi-Point only.

8. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I think Joey's Keychains were to get around PayPal's no gun or accessories clause?

9. Simple stuff to begin. Accessory mounts, rails, triggers, compensators, shrouds, charging handles, etc. I also like the pistol frame idea and would love to do an all aluminum carbine stock. Probably would be heavy as a tank and not very practical, but still something I'd eventually like to do.

10. hypnodoc143

hypnodoc143 Member

Back in 1981 I owned a survival equipment company (small) that serviced the off shore oil industry off the coast of Louisiana... I had a 2 million policy (a whole lot back then)... I developed a valve that allowed a liferaft on the oil platforms to inflate more smoothly in the case of an emergency... A liferaft failed to fully deploy because the liferaft company didn't do something right... EVERYBODY was sued including my company... The company sewing was awarded 9 MILLION all together... My insurance payed out $700,000 and I paid over $12,000 in attorney fees and many lost business hours sitting in court and in depositions... My house, business and personal assets survived but I was scared out of my mind... There is a way to protect yourself nowadays... Just find out how and then go be creative... GOOD LUCK...

11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Simple stuff shouldn't give you much liability with disclaimers and names like "keychains" used.

12. Thank you for the input guys. I have decided what the first product will be and would like to have a couple to sell within the next couple months. I won't say there's not anything like it out there, but it is a bit different from anything offered for High Point carbines.

13. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

Drop in parts do not require an FFL.

14. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Depends what the drop in parts are. ;)

Anything on the ITAR list requires an FFL and ITAR registration, and if you sell more then 50 per year you'll need to pay Federal Excise tax to be legal.