Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this a total noob question but I need some help. I cannot find an explanation on bullets, so to speak.
Here is what I am trying to find. I would like to know what grain bullets do what. Like the pros/cons of each. I am under the assumption that the heavier grain = more knockdown power.

Also, the ammo that I got for my C9 is the Blazer steel case. Are they okay for my HP9?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
my 9 and 995 love blazer brass. they cant get enough of it lol. Hotter load more kick more power further distance more accuracy depending on your gun if it likes hot loads.

Thats all I know Im sure someone will fill us in with the rest..

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
bullet weight isnt the best indicator of "knock down" power. its more about speed when you are working with pistol rounds. a 115 gr bullet at 1200 FPS has more lb/ft of energy than a 147 gr at 900 FPS. also what you want to do with it is a consideation in bullet choice.

SW

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Most people seem to say that the Blazer steel case works, but personally I wouldn't recommend shooting steel through the C9 because of the additional extractor wear. A few rounds here and there probably won't hurt, but I'd probably stick with brass personally. Others with personal experience may have differing opinions.

The grains of a bullet are how much it weighs. I generally get the highest grain and highest velocity ammo I can find for my Glock 17 and Ruger P345. I carry 147grn +P+ in the G17 and 230grn +P+ in the P345. The +P or +P+ rating denotes that the pressures for that ammo are higher (some guns are not rated for these, so be careful and read your manual!). IIRC, +P is a SAAMI rating but +P+ isn't rated by SAAMI so it may vary by manufacturer. The higher pressures will mean greater bullet velocity, which with pistols should generate more knockdown power.

Also keep in mind that higher grain will also mean higher recoil. +P and +P+ ammo will also have higher recoil than standard loads, so if you practice with 115grn Blazer ammo and carry 147grn +P+ in your gun, there will be a good bit of difference in the recoil. It's always a good idea to shoot your self defense ammo at least every once and a while so you know what to expect :)

Hopefully this helps. I'm by no means a ballistics expert, but this is some knowledge I've gathered over the last few years. I'm sure SW will correct me if I'm wrong haha.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Let's clear up some confusion:
http://www.blazer-ammo.com/
GREAT ECONOMY THROUGH GREAT TECHNOLOGY. If casual practice is getting expensive, look to Blazer. Blazer uses aircraft-grade aluminum that's heat-treated to make an economical cartridge case. As the case is the most expensive component of any cartridge, our aluminum case lets us give you a cartridge that has all the performance of brass-case ammo at a more attractive price.
We load Speer bullets and CCI primers, both with a long record of happy users. You also get selection, from 25 Auto to 45 Colt. Blazer also features a selection of bullet weights and styles, something you can't get in typical "white box" ammunition or imports. Blazer is a great option to reduce the cost of practice, letting you shoot more, and more often.

Steel is an alloy of iron. Blazer Brass uses brass cases: brass is an alloy of copper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts