Quick question about charging handles

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Ridge, Feb 7, 2008.

How often do you use the bolt hold open on the C/H?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. Constantly

99.2%
  2. Sometimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rarely

0.8%
  4. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ridge

Ridge Member

How often do you guys actually use the bolt hold open feature on the charging handle?

I have an idea for a new one, but Im trying to decide whether or not to integrate that feature into it...

2. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

I use it every time I insure the weapon is clear.

Also use it every time every time I go to the range as it is required to lock the bolt to the rear IF CAPABLE when sighning on the range and between resets.

Also every time I show it off, after checking the chamber.

It has been a nice addition.

3. I am a firm believer that if your weapon is on the bench or a shooting stand or what have you... That it be locked and cleared. It is a saftey thing for me. I like to see chambers open if I am going to check targets.

4. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

I rarely use it. Generally when I'm shooting I'm the only one around because I don't have a membership at the range around here. Pastures are my gun ranges :p

5. Ridge

Ridge Member

So Im talking with Bushman about my charging handle idea...turns out he had the same one a while ago, and he MIGHT try to cut one out this weekend...I'll give you a hint on the look...

[​IMG]

6. I go to a commercial heavily-populated range, so, yeah, all of the above reasons: a lot.

7. agree 100% with those who use it, even if I'm alone at the range, I think its important to keep in practice the safety precautions I use.

8. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Guest

If Bushman makes one that works similar to an HK variant I call dibs for 1st in line.

9. Ridge

Ridge Member

I already called dibs :D

10. OK -- now we know where this is going :D

11. The charge handle on my 4095 won't engage because of a misalignment to the top side of the slot.I guess I will be doing a little file work, or a charge handle with a smaller button .

12. I use my charging handle to lock back the bolt on my 995 all the time, for all of the above posted reasons. If you don't constantly keep your safety precautions fresh in your mind, and in practice 100% of the time, you run the risk of becoming complacent. When you become complacent, that's when you get AD's. Never let yourself get lazy.

13. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

I almost never use it on mine. I don't go the range, just the friends ranch, and if the firearm is in hand it is being shot. If it isn't in hand, it is set aside safely and cleared, mag and everything pulled.

I suppose I would use it more just to get into the habit if it wasn't such a pain in the ass on the 995. It wasn't designed very well IMO. I just have problems with getting it to stay in place.

14. Ridge

Ridge Member

Well I appreciate everybody's input...as for me, when Im done using it, I drop the mag, pull back the slide and check the chamber, then close it again...the only time I ever lock it open is when I drop the boresnake through at the end of the day...

15. I always leave it open. Safety, habit, etc.

16. markseaysr

markseaysr Member

New owner, I put a full mag in the gun but the charge handle stays back...I can't get it t move forward period. It's got to be me, the newbie. Any tips? Safety on or off makes no difference.

17. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Pull handle back and release.

18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :welcome:markseaysr!!!

Try pulling it further back and "slingshot" it forward. Also check to make sure it is not in the "locked" position, the charging handle slips in towards the bolt and into the locking notches on the receiver.