Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what frame size the Remington 1858 New Model Army would be if it were on the modern Smith and Wesson frame system? I own a reproduction in .44 and, although I don't own any S&W's, I'd guess L or N. Does anyone know for sure?

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
At midnight call for Ajole three times ;)
He'll know the answer.
If you don't want to wait that long send him or Duster066 a pm.
Llawson is one of the gun-gurus here also but he's more into Eastern Bloc stuff afaik.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
A Remy 58 is not in the same class as a double action center fire revolver. S&W frame sizes have nothing to do with a remy, the frame shape is not the same, the trigger guard is not in the same location as it it on a DA revolver. As far as holsters the Remy should fit, maybe loosely holsters made for Colt 1873. But the cylinder is not as thick, especially the as thick as Ruger SA revolvers.

Maybe it would be helpful to know why you ask?

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
What he said. The S&W system is simply their way of designating big, little, and IDK what on their frames.

Remington doesn't have any use for that system, and it has no real application except as a basic size indicator, when applied to any gun other than S&W.

As WalkingWolf said, the only way we can give any meaningful advice here is to know why the question was asked.

And I'd doubt it was about holsters, as the old revolvers are well known, and usually are designated as applicable for specific models in any maker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got one that was made in Italy without a brand name pretty cheap and I want to convert it to cartridge and cut down the barrel to between 5 and 3 inches for open carry to the duck blind. I was hoping it would fit a police surplus holster. They have tons at one of the thrift shops in my town and they seperate them by frame letter.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Look for a western style holster, I just don't know how well the Remy will fit in a police holster. You can get a holster from Cabellas for not too expensive for the Remy. Keep in mind when cutting down the Remy you cut down the power, black powder is a explosive, but it still needs barrel inches to produce power. I would not cut one down for hunting. For a self defense gun at close range is ok.

The Remy is not that easy to cut down, the rammer is needed to keep the cylinder pin in. If the barrel is shortened so the rammer needs to be shortened. So it would be necessary not only to move the front sight, but also the rammer catch, shorten the rammer, drill it out, mill it to move the catch to match.

I have shorter cap and balls, but not my Remy, it will always be 8 inches. I do have a 51 Navy with a three inch barrel(avenging angel). I cut it down myself, but it no longer uses a rammer, and one is not needed to hold the barrel and cylinder in place. If you want to go with 3 inches I suggest a colt army or navy revolver.

BTW the cartridge conversions are for Pieta and Uberti revolvers they probably would not fit another brand, and they are not cheap to experiment with. They also should not be used on brass frame revolvers.

You would pay as much for a cartridge conversion as buying a new Pieta and a spare cap and ball cylinder.

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
I've got one that was made in Italy without a brand name pretty cheap and I want to convert it to cartridge and cut down the barrel to between 5 and 3 inches for open carry to the duck blind. I was hoping it would fit a police surplus holster. They have tons at one of the thrift shops in my town and they seperate them by frame letter.
Used HP would be $120 in my AO, give you more bullets, and not require any work at all.

A .22 revolver like a Heritage or Puma can be $130-$150 new, and do most things I'd assume you'd need to do in a duck blind.:confused:

Either way, I think it'd be cheaper than making a black powder gun work the way you want?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts