Quick Review (Warning) about S&B Range safe ammo

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Sakdog, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

Hey guys, About a month or so ago I ordered 500 rounds of S&B Range safe ammo from www.centerfiresystems.com I think the total came out to around $71 dollars including shipping. Centerfire is a great place to buy from they even sent me a cool pull thru rifle/pistol cleaning kit absolutely free with the order. However that S&B stuff is absolute garbage Its cheap steel cased ammo but... Hands down wolf is much better.
    This ammo succeeded in turning my Springfield XD-9 into a complete Jam-O-Matic I had at least 3 jams per 10 rounds it would fail to extract the case would become lodged in the chamber Very tight.
    Did the same thing In my Hi point C-9 it would jam about 2-3 times out of 10..
    Bad stuff....

Im going thru my ammo cache and firing off all of my steel case stuff and I am going to replenish it with reloads.. Whenever I get everything settled in...

2. Ari

Ari Guest

I have not seen steel cased S&B..... I have heard of the lacquer coated wolf having the lacquer cook to the chamber walls. Does your xd still jam after you switch to other ammo?

I have had S&B have real light loads in my 7.62x25... I have also had others talk about them having light loads in other calibers as well.

3. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

No it isn't jamming with anything else right now... But the S&B is tricky because their cases on that range safe stuff looks like brass.. But its actually something like brass plated steel... definitely magnetic

4. I have always had very good results with S&B ammo, but only with the real brass cased stuff in x39, 9mm, .22 Hornet and .308, never tried the steel cased S&B though. About the only two guns I use steel cased ammo in is my SKS and Bulgarian Makarov because this is what these guns were designed to shoot in the first place.

Thanks for the heads up on the S&B Range Safe ammo.

rimfirehunter

5. Is that true? I had heard the same thing about other guns, but is there any real specific dimentional, finnish, or coating that makes them "designed to shoot steel case ammo"? I can tell you I have a Tangfolio Witness and it eats up all kinds of ammo. I've been using Wolf on it for years with no failures.

6. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

Yeah ive shot some 9x18 S&B and other S&B all of it has been GREAT ammo.. It was just this particular "Range Safe" ammo that Ive had this problem with... my Feg Pa-63 Loves to eat S&B or wolf or anything...

7. Where is this "range safe" ammo S&B that you speak of?

I would to see some pictures of it. I have only seen the S&B green packages and its al brass boxer primed.

I don't like S&B brass though, has really tight primer pockets.

8. Bushman98,

Here is how it was explained to me during a Arsenal course I took about 20 years back.

When a brass cased round is fired the case expands to grip the chamber walls, as the bullet leaves the barrel pressures drop and the case contracts a wee bit allowing it to slip free of the chamber and be extracted. Most western chambers are not chrome lined and we all know brass is weaker than steel, so this is why brass cases do not stick to the chamber walls often.

Now in the commie guns they chose to chrome line their chambers for three reasons. Reason one is brass was/is not an abundant resource in the commie nations as it is in the west. Reason two is brass was very very expensive due to reason one and steel was much much cheaper and far more abundant for Ivan to get hold of. Reason three is the commie guns were built with slightly larger chambers so they would be more reliable when given to uneducated peasants who would not clean them properly while operating in the field.

Now since they went with the cheaper steel, to make ammo cases from, they had to chrome line their chambers so the rounds would reliably extract after being fired. When a steel cased round is fired it also expands to grip the chamber walls, just like the brass case does, but when the pressure inside the barrel starts to drop the steel case does not contract like brass does. Chrome is much slicker than bare steel and this allowed the lacquered steel case to be extracted instead of sticking to the chamber walls.

This is why some people have a lot of issues with steel cased ammo in modern guns, the cases are sticking just enough to slow the bolt down to cause feeding issues. Some western guns handle steel cased ammo just fine, others dont, so its one of those "test the waters before jumping in" deals when looking for good deals on bulk ammo with steel cases.

rimfirehunter

9. Steel cases were used in most of our ammo in WWII. Worked great in .45 ACP and .30-06.

Quality issues aside I wouldn't hesitate to use steel cased ammo in any quality fire arm. My RIA 1911 has eaten up and spit out Wolf of the lacquered and poly coated variety and frankly, so has anything else I've seen shoot it.

The S&B thing...the one thing I wondered about was if they make this stuff for military use...why aren't militaries buying it? I know our military is snapping up all the 5.56, 7.62 NATO, AK, and x54R, and 9mm that it can get...so how does this stuff end up on the open market?

10. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

here is what it looks like
    [​IMG]

11. I have never had a problem with any steel cased ammo in any of my guns (I use it mostly it in my commie guns including Ak47s and SKSs and some 9mm steel case in my pistols).

I have never seen that copper plated S&B. I would LOVE to see a closeup of the headstamp of it. I wonder if its easy to tell the difference betwene the range safe ammo and standard S&B brass?

12. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

I dont have any empties here to picture.. However the primers are sealed with red varnish and the easiest way to distinguish them from anything else is with a magnet..

13. I think all S&B have the primers sealed with the red varnish. I know about 99 percent of all S&B brass I see has the red primer or at least the red ring around the reloaded primer.