Rachgier's Transmission Debacle. Now with more torsion bars!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rachgier, Sep 9, 2020.

1. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

That bad hair job to.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

But the food was good.

moona11 likes this.

3. Rerun

Rerun Member

Sounds like a BMW.

eldar

4. SimiMike

SimiMike Member

I believe you are looking for this gasket in our eBay store item 181647381052
    Since I didn't see any truck info ( or missed it ), it looks like a Chevy/GMC 1500 from the pictures.
    If that's not it message me from the item with more info. Pretty sure we can help you out with parts.

On the torsion bars, they are a PIA for sure. Been a while since I had to deal with them but I believe what my installers did was to loosen the adjustment bolt ( count turns, critical to be put back in the right place ) & then take the bolt holding the cross member to frame out, pull, pry, whatever it takes down on the cross member w/ the torsion bars still hooked & then put a 4x4 or something on each side to hold it down. Reverse to install.
    If you undo the torsion hex plan on having to go to a front end most likely to get it all set back right.

5. Rachgier

Front suspension was completely rebuilt 2 years ago, maybe? I tore it down to the frame and did uppers, lowers, drag link, steering arm, ball joints, hubs, guide pins, hardware, calipers, torsion bars, torsion keys, rotors, pads, springs, shocks, stabilizer links, and tires.

Since then I hit 3 deer at once and totalled the front end. Bumper, hood, grill, headlights, bumper lights, turn signals, the mounting brackets for said lights, air temp sensor, radiator, condenser, trans cooler, and power steering cooler. That's why I'm doing the trans swap. I'll do both fenders as well when I'm doing the body work.

While I'm in there I'm doing front and rear pinion seals, all 4 universals, and a manifold clamp on the driver rear courtesy of the dreaded chitty chevy manifold bolt breakage issue. My next adventure will be the front axle seals and the oil pan gasket.

20200112_165020.jpg 20200112_165030.jpg 20200112_165008.jpg

6. Rachgier

Currently it's in a lot better shape, mechanically, but the deer strike fragged the trans cooler and in the 1 mile I limped it home the 2/3 and 3/4 clutches got smoked.
    20200217_115708.jpg 20200217_125433.jpg 20200217_140101.jpg 20200219_163440.jpg

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Rerun likes this.
  8. I wouldn't be so sure that'd help much :rolleyes:
    Unless its like these.. death-race-machinegun-12ec3d9.jpg Image315_f9ed8e79c5f3514c293308265112c56640eb1a6c.jpg versus these post impact. (Not sure, probably other vehicles or inanimate hard objects like barriers?) Noticed these are all from Texas
    image-58-1390577082.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380752455.752036.jpg YelenaM_RH_CustomerTestimonial-380x230.jpeg

9. Think1st

Florida
    Those definitely look like vehicle strikes or hard stationary objects as you suggested. A big enough deer at speed will do damage, but a proper push bumper/brush guard combo should limit the body range or, at the very least, protect your radiator.

10. Rachgier

It's in the works. Thinking ranch type bumper with schedule 40.

@CamoDeafie most of those are light weight construction and I'm willing to bet they're cattle strikes.

I hit 3 deer at around 40-45mph. I was accelerating from a 35 to a 65 zone and was doing at least 60 when the herd came boiling out of the ditch at 03:30 in a moonless night. I hammered the brakes and steered right, towards the direction they came from, but hit the last two doe and the buck instead of driving it in to the 4ft deep concrete irrigation ditch. They had just jumped. I didn't stop for at least another 30ft and felt two go under the rear tires.

11. Think1st

Florida
    Years and years ago, I was driving on HWY 86 (if memory serves) a little before midnight, one night, and after topping a rise at about 65 MPH, my headlights defended towards the bottom of the hill, and I saw three deer at the far edge of my headlights. I stood on my breaks like I never had before and came to a stop maybe 30' from them. They stood there for what seemed to have been a few seconds before they finally left the road. That was a close call. Colorado has a very special kind of deer problem on the roads.

I was also in a vehicle behind a friend's vehicle on the Palisades Parkway, one evening, and a deer, which had been standing on the side of the road, decided it would be a good time to sprint across the road right as my friend's vehicle was almost on top of it. That was a close one for him.

12. moona11

Most brush guards are for looks only. POS things people buy then strike something and wonder why they totaled out the front ends. Build your own if you have a welder. Which you already know

FlashBang and CamoDeafie like this.
  13. Dont forget, it does seem like the bumper to subframe/unibody/frame attachments are not as solidly built as they used to be... in the name of safety with crumple zones and force dispersal/absorbtion vs transferring all the impact force to the poor seats/steering column/passengers.

FlashBang, moona11 and Think1st like this.
  14. Think1st

Florida
    That's something I've wondered about with brush guards. You still have to avoid compromising the airbag systems or transferring too much force to the frame so that it gets ruined in an impact, all while simultaneously having something in the way to minimize body damage from moderate impacts.

I'd never try to imagine that a brush guard is there to protect the vehicle from damage during a head-on with a brick wall at freeway speeds, but I would believe it reasonable to protect a vehicle from serious body damage during a 15 MPH impact with a deer. That speed is a reasonable speed to expect you could drop to if you saw a deer and hit the brakes a little late.

15. Civilian equivalent of ERA? ;) actually, using the airbag tech, I think slaving them with a button on the steering wheel or setup to activate when brake sensor sees a sudden slam of the brake pedals could work a bit, maybe won't reduce vehicle to vehicle or vehicle to barrier impacts, but living things could at the least be pushed/smooshed out of the way?

Think1st likes this.
  16. Think1st

Florida
    That's a solid idea. I've read that some airbags are activated based on the amount of deceleration within a given time, rather than based just on raw force against the front bumper, so you'd definitely want to make sure the one you had in your vehicle was configured that way. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about having to relocate the sensor to the push bumper.

17. moona11

Hit a Deer a 15MPH you have bigger problems than the vehicle.:tank:

CamoDeafie likes this.
  18. What I was thinking is put airbag containers within the bumper, behind thin thin plastic that has preformed break lines on the inside, so the airbags dont get torn in the process other than antlers, bone, or whatnot.

19. Think1st

Florida
    So, you're talking about external airbags? That would be an interesting solution.