Rachgier's Transmission Debacle. Now with more torsion bars!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rachgier, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Windshield entry and a thrashing deer for a passenger?

Merle likes this.
  2. Yeah, pretty much an airbag equivalent to the ERA armor applique lol

Edit. I mean, if the concept worked to stop warheads and some kinetic rounds from getting into armored vehicles, then why wouldnt it work for deer and large critters and maybe even humans? <_< (maybe not as violently due to using external airbags vs actual explosions)

3. Think1st

Florida
    Or make some Tannerite reactive armor. That deer wouldn't leave a mark anywhere after that...

Then again, that might be a little over the top.

CamoDeafie likes this.
  4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I was thinking F ing retarded

5. Think1st

Florida
    15 MPH is the speed you might slow down to if you slammed on the brakes too late--not the speed you'd be driving when you saw the deer. To quote Joe Biden: "Come on, man!"

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Why you QUOTE Trashy

7. Think1st

Florida
    TNT would have said something more along the lines of, "Suck it, man."

8. when I lived in Maine one of my co-workers best friends was killed that way when she hit a moose - inside the city limits of Brunswick. :ohno:

9. Think1st

Florida
    Brutal!

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

1,000lbs of flesh held up by chopsticks.

histed likes this.
  11. Had that happen out in western mAss, the body of the moose took out the whole top of the car. Nobody survived.

12. A lot of people who have never seen them in real life seem to think that älg/Moose are cuddly cattle sized creatures... they're enormous, and basically one of the last megafauna alive from the last ice age :rolleyes:

13. Fracman

Fracman Member

Plus moose eyes don’t glow when hit with lights like deer.

14. Actually, moose's eyes do reflect light. Like most mammals the have a structure called the tapetum lucidum albeit not as developed as say, a nocturnal predator. But a moose's eyes are at the extreme edges of his skull and therefore much less apt to being seen simultaneously such as when a moose would be crossing a road at right angles. So drivers that encounter a moose at night will probably never see two glowing eyes and perhaps only the one until it is too late. Also, as mentioned above, a moose is much bigger IRL than most might think. Car headlights are typically focused on the oncoming road surface directly ahead of the car and not focused 10-12 feet (or higher) above the road surface where a moose's head might actually be.

https://redoubtreporter.wordpress.c...'ll also know they,aids in their night vision.

Merle and CamoDeafie like this.
  15. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Headlights aim at their knees. Encountered one on a back road under a highway overpass one night. Couldn't even see it until I was right upon it. Had just enough space to safely (kinda) squeeze between him and the underpass wall.

Merle likes this.
  16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Had a big home built deer catcher on my 79 Ford camper van(one of the 4wd conversions, miss that thing but rust got it). Commuting at 1AM through a deer highway I collected a couple deer a year. Weirdest was a buck that charged the side of the van as I went by at 55mph, he snagged an antler in the mirror bracket and it snapped his neck before the mirror tore out of the door. Zero meat loss to bruising on that one!

Had a semi hit one at 70mph as I was coming the other way. Deer exploded spraying my car with bits and pieces, innards, blood, stomach contents... it was gross! Entrails hanging from the antennas gross... truck hit it dead on with the big aftermarket aluminum bumper they like to use around here. Push bumper so it is tall and thick. They teach drivers here to just hit the deer, cheaper to replace a fender/lights than the entire truck when you roll it.

Merle likes this.
  17. I hit a deer with an Explorer I had some year ago. Little doe just jumped right out in front of me in broad daylight. Crouched down real low so I just kinda' plowed over it. No damage to my car. The trucker behind me stopped to see if I was OK and he asked if he could have it. No problemo.

Merle likes this.
  18. Rachgier

20201001_201403.jpg 20201001_192746.jpg It's alive!!!

75mph, shifted beautifully through all gears, transfer case shifts perfectly as well.

Now I have to find the new exhaust leak, figure out where the brakes went, and determine why the plastic cover around the starter is rubbing the flex plate.

19. Think1st

Florida
    Exhaust leak? Are you hearing the ticking noise from it?

20. Rachgier

I threw a Dorman clamp on the old leak where the manifold bolts broke one winter, but haven't snugged it down yet. Once that's done I'll check the y-pipe connections again. I can hear the pop from it during acceleration.