Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a question about cleaning. Is there anything wrong with cutting a long rag and running it through the bore or cylinders of a gun without using a cleaning rod. What I mean is just cutting a long piece of a rag or t-shirt and using that with your hands to clean the bore or cylinders of your gun. It makes more sense to me then using a cleaning rod, I just wanted to know if there was anything worng with that technique. Thanks in advance, and have a great day!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no I understand that fully, my question was is there anything wrong with running a patch through a bore by stretching the rag and pulling it through with your hands after brushing, instead of using a cleaning rod to push a small rag through?

·
Registered
43 Posts
welcome to third world gun cleaning kits. while it will work, and im sure its currently being used somewhere on lots of weapons by those deemed less fortunate. it shouldnt cause any harm. there are "better" ways, but its your weapon and if it works for you, have at it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But how would you get the rag through without a rod of some kind to push it through?
By elongating it and putting it through the bore, just like how you put a bore snake through a bore, except with a cotton rag. Nothing wrong with a cleaning rod. Just curious if this technique has any ill effects on firearms.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
But how would you get the rag through without a rod of some kind to push it through?
By elongating it and putting it through the bore, just like how you put a bore snake through a bore, except with a cotton rag. Nothing wrong with a cleaning rod. Just curious if this technique has any ill effects on firearms.
Boresnakes have a weighted forend and a long thin lead line before the actual cleaning section of the snake enters the breech. You just drop the forend into the breech and let it down until you can grab the line out the muzzle, at which point you have to pull the actual cleaning section through.

I still don't see how you can get a limp rag through from breech to muzzle without a lead line or a push rod.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
No ill effect other than it might not be as clean as it could be. Cotton is much softer than steel so it's not gonna hurt the bore any. OTOH, you let it get really cruddy then the dirt embedded in the rag may be abrasive. Same problem exists with the boresnake, which is why you should wash it occasioanally.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I picked up a universal gun cleaning kit at walmart for less the $5 and they did have bags of cleaning patches for around $3. Idon't know if the price has gone up.

So a claening rod and patches aren't all that expensive and you won't hurt a weapon using a rod to clean em.They've been doing it for hundreds of years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.