Featured Rambling thoughts on Ruger Revolvers

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by greg_r, Oct 7, 2017.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have always been a fan of Ruger, just really never could afford them. Honestly, I guess I still can't afford them, but I decided to quit with the offshore built guns and go USA. What's the old saying? Buy once, cry once. I decided to get some Rugers.

First, a few thoughts on what I like in a handgun. Foremost I like revolvers. Second I have always liked blue and walnut, a few years ago you couldn't give me a stainless revolver, but for some reason unknown even to me, I decided to go stainless. And finally, I like my barrels short. 2 to 4 inches, over 6 inches and I quickly lose interest.

Starting with the single actions.

First the Vaquero. I generally do not like these. The hammer seems out of place to me. I do like the Bisley though. And there are a couple of 3 3/4" models with the standard hammer I like, one with a birdshead grip. These are low on my list of wants.

The Blackhawk is another low on my wants list. Just not a big fan of the 357 magnum in the platform. I will admit to looking at the 45Colt/45 ACP conversion. Had one been available in stainless I may have bought one.

The Super Blackhawk is where it starts coming together for me. I do not like the Dragoon style squared triggergards though. Fortunately for me, they also make them with rounded triggergards. My choice here is the 4.62" 44 Magnum.

The Single Six is a revolver I have wanted for a long time. The Single Ten and Single Nine I don't like at all. I don't like the bolt cuts in the cylinder. The Single Seven I am interested in. I just like the 327 Magnum. With only seven cuts in the cylinder it looks somewhat better, but it's still lacking something. Maybe flutes?
    I ended up with a 5.5" 22 LR/22 Magnum Convertable.

The Bearcat in my opinion is the creme de la creme of the Ruger 22's. They make an adjustable sighted version, but the sights just look out of place on the little revolver. They also make a sweet 3" birdshead grip model. Mine is the 4.2" standard stainless model. It's the perfect kit gun.

Moving on to the double actions.

The Super Redhawk I do not like at all in the standard configuration. I just do not like the looks of the barrel. The Alaskan version is another story. I like the thing. But I consider it a novelty. A show and tell piece if you will. It would be nice to have one in 454 Casull. Shoot a cylinder full. Then put it away until the feeling comes back to your hand. If I lived in Alaska and needed bear protection I would own one, but I don't, so it will stay near the bottom of my priority list.

The Redhawk would be my choice for a hunting revolver if I wanted a double action. I just prefer the single action for hunting. I do like the 2 3/4 inch 357 and the 44 and 41 Magnums in the same barrel lengths. They are not at the bottom of my wants list, but not at the top either. They are a good solid maybe on my list.

The GP100 is where my interest in Ruger double actions really takes off. Interesting chambered in 44 Special. Less so in 22 Long Rifle, it's just too heavy. But perfect in the 357 Magnum. This is one of my favorites. Mine is the fixed sights 3 inch model.

I went bat **** crazy over the SP101. Its about the perfect DA revolver. Novak sight 2.25", Match Champion, and the 22 Long Rifle versions. I like full length underlugs, but the 1/2 underlug of the 22 version is just right. But there is a issue in my opinion. I think Ruger missed the boat when they chambered the Match Champion for the .357 Magnum. I think it should have been chambered in the .327 Federal Magnum. The .357 belongs in the GP100, the SP101 is better suited for the .38 Special, .327, and 22 long rifle. The new offering chambered in 9 mm is interesting as well.

Finally the LCRX. Yep, I said "X". I like hammers on my revolvers. These are the perfect carry revolvers in my opinion. Not stainless, but plastic, aluminum and steel. And light. Mine are in 38 special and 22 long rifle. Make a 3 inch in .327 Federal and I will own another. The .357 Magnum I have no desire for. Five rounds of 357 through a buddy's 357 LCR convinced me of that. New offerings make the LCRX available in .22 LR, .22Mag, .327 Federal, 9mm Luger, 38 Spc, and 357 Mag. Unfortunately only the 22LR, 22 Mag, and 38 Spl are available in 3 inch at this time.

WECSOG, beaglenc, moona11 and 2 others like this.
  2. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I just want one to blast full power 357. It's my favorite handgun round and no fun at puff puff levels. A Blackhawk or GP100 in 6" is high on my list. 4" is minimum barrel length for me. I consider a magnum handgun a 100 yard weapon.

eldarbeast, moona11 and undeRGRound like this.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

This^^^^

For hunting, longer barrels make perfect sense, as they let you maximize power and energy in your given caliber, extend your sight radius if using irons, and the extra weight forward makes them a bit steadier for most people.

Of course, if it's all about close range SD and fast draw, the shorter barrels make sense.

Merle and undeRGRound like this.
  4. greg_r

If I'm going to hunt to 100 yards and beyond with a handgun, I have better platforms. A CVA Scout and I have access to an Encore.

The 44 is for hogs and deer. Out to 40, maybe 50 yards. Mostly closer. While I shoot it at the range out to 100 yards, I would not shoot an open sighted revolver at a game animal at that range.

5. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Well-Known Member

If I was starting my gun collection all over again, it would contain more Rugers. I have 3 now and they all work perfectly.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I finally made the plunge, got the GP100, 6" barrel, adjustable sights from Reaper.
    Included his fine custom trigger job. Grand Total, $400... It was a steal, IMO.

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Damn good deal. Used here are about $500.

undeRGRound likes this.
  8. undeRGRound

INDY
    Buddy Deal, for sure!

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Went into a pawn to look at the used clipazines and a used GP100 .357 Stainless 6" keeps calling my name. Guy behind the counter says it comes with a Bianchi holster too. Asking price is $429 so they may take less. Ruger MSRP: $829 , holster $30-$100??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sarahsmom likes this.
  10. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

and you left it there?

If I had been behind you, I would have waited 'til you were done looking at it, asked if you were going to take it home today, and when you said "no" I would have told the guy behind the counter, "gimme a Form 4473, I'll take it."

That's precisely how I got my Ruger SP101. (But I did give the looky-loo one last chance, but he decided he needed to ask the wifey before buying. Me, I know it's far better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. ;) )

11. duster066

Yup. Screw it. You're gonna be in trouble for something anyway. Might as well be for damn good reasons.

BigT45 likes this.
  12. duster066

Oh by the way. That's 2 6" GP100s for 400 bucks this week. I'd have had either one.

eldarbeast likes this.
  13. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Not both............ :p

14. duster066

Na, I have several duplicates. I don't mind if they are cool. I just want a tough 357 pistol.

15. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Is it blued or stainless?

undeRGRound likes this.
  16. undeRGRound

INDY
    Blued, but I prefer that for a hunting pistol.
    It's mighty nice, but not a show piece, anyway.
    Perfect for a humble Mole! ;)

WECSOG likes this.
  17. uavdb

uavdb Well-Known Member

For some reason I have several Rugers. An LCR in .38 +p (carry) two Mark II's, a P89 9mm and a P94 .40cal. I do have a couple of .357's, but not Rugers. One is a 4" S&W model 66 and the other is a 6" Colt Python.

18. greg_r

I have worked revolvers with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. If I want longer I go to this.
    IMG_20171008_062507.jpg

undeRGRound likes this.
  19. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

I agree. I knew a few folks who wounded a few deer trying to reach too far during that period of everyone wanting to hunt w/ a handgun back in the 80's. For the most part, I also very much like Ruger revolvers.
    Back in the 80's was when the "hunting w/ a handgun" bug hit me. I picked up a Super Blkhawk 44 w/ the 7.5" barrel with a scope on it for $325.00. I killed quite a few w/ it.
    The scope did not stay on long and the iron went back on. 90% of my kills were under 50yrds and the scope was a hindrance.
    I was a MUCH better shot back then than now, and I wouldn't/didn't take a shot over 50yrds with the iron sights.
    Keeping in mind that was for hunting. If it was 2 legged "game" I had no doubts that w/ a rest, that "game animal" was gonna take a hit at 100yrds, just maybe not an immediate kill shot.

20. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Supporting Member

I've got several Rugers, a 6.5" Blackhawk in .357 (my favorite) a Service Six (my almost favorite) an lc9s (my favorite to carry) and an American compact in .308 (one of my favorite rifles)

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

So yeah I'd say I like rugers.

WECSOG, shepherd321 and undeRGRound like this.