Since I first found out about the .30 Super Carry, i have been researching the round as much as I can. Short version is that I am liking what I am reading and have convinced myself, I gotta' get me one of these!

Now for the long version. Looking back, I am reminded of another cartridge that I like a lot. That cartridge is at the best a niche cartridge, at worst its a failure. It's the .32 H&R Magnum. I want to compare my thoughts and opinions of the two cartridges, along with thoughts on the .30 Super Carry itself

To get one of the most controversial of my comparisons out of the way first, neither cartridge is meant for police or military duty. Does that mean anything? Not really, many of the cartridges used by civilians today have their roots in military history. But it somehow gives me a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling. Politically it might have a little bit of meaning. Nobody can say that it was designed for war. No, these cartridges are designed for the everyday citizen.

Both cartridges offer increased capacity in the firearms they are most suited for when compared to the cartridge commonly found in that firearm. In the case of the 32 H&R Magnum, that would be a "J" frame revolver. That size revolver typically will carry 5 rounds of 38 special. The only current production revolver that I am aware of in 32 H&R Magnum is the Charter Arms Professional. That revolver carries 7 rounds. In my opinion the perfect home for the .30 Super Carry would be any of the current crop of Micro 9's. The only one currently chambered in the .30 Super Carry is the Smith & Wesson Shield Plus. With the flush fit magazine it holds 10 rounds of 9mm Luger and 12 rounds of .30 Super Carry.

Finally I want to look at cartridge performance. The .32 H&R Magnum is most commonly compared to the 32 S&W Long and the 38 Special. It far outclasses the 32 S&W Long and is very comparable to the 38 Special. The .30 Super Carry is touted as the median between the .380 Auto and the 9mm Luger. Ballistics indicate that it far outclasses the .380 ACP and is nearly on par with the 9mm Luger.

I have heard speculation that the .30 Super Carry is going to be chambered is 380 auto sized pocket pistols. I just do not see this happening as the case length is comparable to the 9mm Luger. Sig Sauer makes the 938 9mm Luger pistol, and Springfield makes a close copy. These are amongst the smallest of the 9mm Luger pistols. I would like to see either of those offerings in .30 Super Carry. I really see the cartridge given homes in the Micro 9 sized pistols. Of course the /Shield Plus we know is going to house the cartridge. I do optimistically expect to see the Hellcat, Mako, Max9, GX4, 365, and others chambered for the cartridge.

Being an avid hand loader, I am interested in reloading for the cartridge. The cartridge shares the same .312 bullet diameter as the 32 H&R Magnum. I have some of the Lee TL314-90-SWC bullets cast up that I use in the .32 H&R Magnum. I am wondering how, or even if, these will work in the .30 Super Carry. I also have not found any reloading dies for the cartridge. I am curious if the .32 S&W Long dies (which are used to load the .32 H&R Magnum) or the 32 ACP dies with the proper shell holder can be used to load the .30 Super Carry.

I saw positives in the .32 H&R Magnum. It was a step up from the .32 S&W Long and an excellent choice for he sportsman in need of an excellent field handgun as well as the private citizen in need of a handgun for personal protection. I also see positives in the .30 Super Carry. Increased performance, or at least equal performance over two of the cartridges it is competing with. Increased capacity, reduced recoil, and easier operation of the firearm, especially ease of racking the slide due to lighter springs.

I did not see any negatives in the .32 H&R Magnum when it was introduced. I probably should have realized that the .357 projectile had fully replaced the .312 projectile by the time of the introduction of the .32 H&R Magnum. Do I see hurdles for the .30 Super Carry? Yes, first and foremost is that the .355 projectile has also replaced the .312 projectile. The 9mm Luger is not about to be dethroned. The ammunition costs look to be on par with .380 ammo, which means that the 9mm will will be cheaper to shoot. And while the recoil will be less, the muzzle flash and blast will be considerably more due to the high operating pressure of the .30 Super Carry. My guess is that perceived recoil will be no different than the 9mm Luger and perhaps even a bit more. Finally there is the fact that current popular ammunition can be hard to source right now, I just don't see how ammunition manufacturers can spool up for a new cartridge when they can not fulfill the requests for current cartridges.

As for me? A pistol chambered for the .30 Super Carry is high on the want list. I want to see what becomes available. My hope is that an affordable 1911 style becomes available, but my feelings will not be hurt if it ends up being the Smith & Wesson shield Plus.