Ramp polishing

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by letsroll, Jan 27, 2008.

1. letsroll

letsroll Guest

Is it necessary to polish the ramp on all Hi points? Or it is a good idea just in case? If either of these are true, does hi point not have some design deficiency that the factory should account for? We are shooting our 380 for the first time this afternoon and I was reading up beforehand on what to watch for. Limp wristing seems to be one matter. But the ramp thing I keep reading about disturbs me. Working on a new weapon for proper function is a new thing for me! We will see later.

Range report later.

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Just think of it as... Who do we put ketchup on french fries? The fries are completely great the way they are, but you insist on putting ketchup with them to make it better. The same is the reasoning behind the polishing of the feed ramp. To make it better... Does this make any sense to you?

3. letsroll

letsroll Guest

Appreciate the analogy. But I do not have to put ketchup on fries for proper intake and digestion. So I assume you are saying that ramp polishing is not necessary on the hi points for proper feeding of the round? It is just an enhacement? Thanks!

4. If the gun fires ok, dont mess with it.

5. i never polished my feed ramp and i've never had a problem with my c9

6. letsroll

letsroll Guest

So the follow up from the range. First of all this thing (.380) was way off on the site. I did not have a small screw driver with me to adjust the rear site but from 5 yards it shot low just barely hitting the target. Bringing the front site up so that the yellow was actually sitting on a plane above the rear site got us somewhat close. That is major league off!

However the really disappointing find was that out of 12 magazines (96 rounds), only one time were we able to empty the mag (8 shots) without a jam. Sometimes it was Right after initial chambering, and sometimes the last shot in the mag and everywhere in between. There was no order or correlation to where in the mag the round was. Not impressive for a new firearm. This is fine for plinking but for home or self defense, totally un-acceptable.

Got to figure out my next steps. Before doing anything to this, I will drop a note to Hi Point asking for explanation and if this is considered normal and acceptable behavior for their firearms.

7. Jokey

Jokey Guest

Note to Letsroll:
    You don't need to do anything to your HiPoint except hold on tight. I polished the ramp of my first one and after a while I noticed that the rounds still scored the relatively soft ramp. My second and third HPs didn't get the treatment and shoot perfectly. My wife gets stove pipes but she has had wrist surgery and limp wrists handguns She shoots long guns even a 12 g deer rifle very well. My take on it is that you have to have a secure grip....

General comments:
    I did some comparison between my Glock Ruger and Hipoint as far as bullet velocity The Glock 19 had 1132 fps the HP was 1083 and the Ruger was 1129. Using my hand loads. Does this mean that the HP is less effective well not by much. It still slings lead but the blow back action is a bit less efficient than the browning action.

8. letsroll

letsroll Guest

Thanks for the feedback Jokey but I was very sure to hang onto this thing tightly whereas I had read about limp wristing on the site here. After the first jam I was strangling this thing hard enought to squeeze the next bullet out and still it jams.

9. urotu

urotu Member

My .380 shot great & straight, right outta the box, from day one. It still does today, I've had one FTF in around 800 - 1000 rounds. Shot better than my .45 did when I first got it.

As for the sighting, the key for the trigger lock is also a tool for sight alignment. The little screwdriver is the backside. My .380 was sighted in pretty straight, but the .45 was off a bit. I installed the ghost sight on it anyway, but just for reference.

Don't get too upset about the feeding for the time being. I'dd search the other threads and maybe think about polishing the ramp or adjusting your magazine lips. There should be a few threads on both subjects, those seem to be the main complaints.

Like I said, my .380 was good to go, but the .45 was a bit different. It had quite a few FTF/FTE issues from day one. It wouldn't let you get through a mag without something not feeding. I oiled it up real good after the 1st shooting and the more I shot it, the better it got, until around 500 rounds. At 500 or so it just started working every time.

Seemed to me to be the plastic follower not moving freely enough in the mag body, at least with that gun. The more I oiled it up, and worked the spring, the better it got.

Did fine until I loaded a squib, and blew the frame up (ammo failure sucks). That was at about 1200-1500 rounds or so. I sent the gun in, they rebuilt it (see, placed old numbers on new gun), and sent it back with two new magazines.

I had similar issues with the new magazines/gun after getting it back. I worked the spring good, oiled up the inside of the mag bodies and that seemed to work, again. The one mag was solid after about 250 or so, it's around 600 rds maybe. The other took closer to 500 rds, but I'm only around 600 in it now. Hasn't failed in the last two outings though.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say don't get frustrated yet. Run some ammo through it, see how you can help improve it. Had I given up after my first gun blowing up, I wouldn't own two great firearms now. I didn't give up because after break in, that .45 is sweet. Shoots straight, solid and every time.

10. Like alot of guns Hi-Points need a break in. Most recommend about a 500 round break in period. The magazine springs can be tight when you first get them. Load your mags and leave them loaded for awhile, that can help them feed better. As said above some have had to adjust the feed lips on there magazines. What kind of ammo were you using? Also make sure your not limp wristing, the blow back design of the Hi-Point is sensitive to limp wristing. Just keep an open mind and put some more rounds thru it and see if it smooths out. If it doesnt't don't worry Hi-Point has a great warranty and will make it right.

11. +1 on what 8andsand said, both my JHP45 and JCP40 pistols needed some rounds ran though them before they smoothed out and ran good.

I usually do milsurps so my guns already come broke in, but the guys say it is not uncommon to have to "break" a weapon in.

Dont give up