Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 995TS apart yesterday, it's been shooting better on 4 out of my 5 magazines since I added the LongShot mag bumpers, charging handle, mag release button, and since I replaced the guiderod and spring.

However I noticed that the feed ramp and throat were both extremely rough and poorly finished. So I immediately chucked up a coarse grinding wheel in my dremel and attacked it at full RPMs to smooth it out. :p NO!! I chucked a soft nylon brush, and ran it at low RPMs to clean it up to better assess it.

After removing the powder residue I found that there are numerous coarse lines running perpendicular to the bore axis. I used a plastic dental tool to feel the surface roughness. Facing the throat, at about 4 o'clock there was a sizeable metal protrusion (what I would call a "tit") that was sharp, perhaps about 1/16" in all dimensions. At about 1 to 3 o'clock is a weird spot of metal in the throat, about 1/16" thick, irregularly shaped. I have no idea if these irregularities were/are affecting feeding (I suspect not).

I chucked up a soft wire brush in the dremel and at low rpm tried to remove the tit. I was being very careful not to remove any unnecessary material. To my surprise, the tit seemed to pop off readily and actually struck me in the face. I polished up the feedramp as best I could -- again, low RPM, soft wire brush on the dremel, being careful not to remove any real material from the metal. I was not able to have any effect on the glob of metal protruding at 1-3 o'clock.

So now my ramp is much shinier than it was before, but is quite coarsely crossed with tool marks and ridges. I don't plan to do any more aggressive work on it given that I doubt it is affecting feeding. Plus a dremel can easily ruin a feed ramp in a fraction of a second.

Comments?

·
Premium Member
35,832 Posts
So now my ramp is much shinier than it was before, but is quite coarsely crossed with tool marks and ridges. I don't plan to do any more aggressive work on it given that I doubt it is affecting feeding. Plus a dremel can easily ruin a feed ramp in a fraction of a second.

Comments?
If you use the felt tips and polishing rouge, you can make it shiny and smooth. But in mu experience, it isn't needed.

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
quite coarsely crossed with tool marks and ridges. I doubt it is affecting feeding.
Comments?
I'd be more concerned about the tool marks and ridges than how shiny it is. If you change to a different shape bjullet or different length cartridge those marks might cause some problems. Especially the ridges.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
If it's not affecting function of the gun leave it alone. Ridges and tool marks are common they will wear naturally with use. Like he said a dremel will kill a gun quickly. If it ain't broke don't fix it. But if you do I'll charge you extra to fix it. Homemade gunsmith keep me busy

·
Premium Member
8,265 Posts
STOP! STOP NOW! I haven't read past..."dremel on warp drive!"

It's zymac, or zymak, or what ever the hell it is. It's pot metal. The feed ramp is pit metal. You can't mirror polish it. It is far to pores (damn spelling short.) All you are doing at warp drive with a power tool is exactly what you are NOT supposed to be doing, removing metal, changing the geometry.

All it needs is a quick rub using a pencil eraser and 600 grit wet dry paper.

Then I read the rest. My opinion stands. Put the power tools away. They have almost zero business on a gun...ever unless a gunsmithing machinest is using it. I'm pretty good at fixing guns. I've never used a power tool of any kind.

I'm not being a little bitch here. Of course dremels are good for cosmetic work, and grind away. But for repair imo they have no use but destruction.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not being a little bitch here.
Of course not ... yer bein' a BIG BITCH! :fight:

I'm kidding. I agree with you, that's why I used a nylon brush on low RPMs, then about 4 seconds with a soft wheel to pop the "tit" off, then the velvet bonnet polishing wheel. The only thing I removed was a layer of powder residue and the metal tit, which I think was just a curled up piece of metal "splinter" (not sure what the real term is) from when the throat was machined.

·
Registered
13 Posts
STOP! STOP NOW! I haven't read past..."dremel on warp drive!"

It's zymac, or zymak, or what ever the hell it is. It's pot metal. The feed ramp is pit metal. You can't mirror polish it. It is far to pores (damn spelling short.) All you are doing at warp drive with a power tool is exactly what you are NOT supposed to be doing, removing metal, changing the geometry.

All it needs is a quick rub using a pencil eraser and 600 grit wet dry paper.

Then I read the rest. My opinion stands. Put the power tools away. They have almost zero business on a gun...ever unless a gunsmithing machinest is using it. I'm pretty good at fixing guns. I've never used a power tool of any kind.

I'm not being a little bitch here. Of course dremels are good for cosmetic work, and grind away. But for repair imo they have no use but destruction.
The feed ramp chamber and barrel are all hardened carbon steel and the ramp can be polished without damage. I polished mine after running a thousand or so rounds through it just for kicks and giggles. I made NO difference in the guns already flawless performance, but the polised areas of the ramp and chamber are much easier to clean now.

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts
The feed ramp is made out of Zamack. Soft zinc alloy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yours must be different than mine... Hmmm, maybe Hi Point Decided to cheapen it up..

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts
Yours must be different than mine... Hmmm, maybe Hi Point Decided to cheapen it up..
actually you are the only one with a steel ramp. Magnet stick to it?

Reactions: duster066

·
Premium Member
8,265 Posts
Most of what you are seeing is the powder coat finish wearing away as bullets ride up during feeding. Completely normal Hi Point. Some guns do appear to benefit from a quick polish of the ramp, but it's really not usually necessary.

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts
My feed ramp looks like a ruffles potato chip
That's the revised super duper high performance ramp. You must have known someone to get that model. :shooting:

Reactions: huckleberg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the revised super duper high performance ramp. You must have known someone to get that model. :shooting:
it's not really that bad, but it's way more than just wear of the finish. the ridges are visible, and when you run your pinky down it you can feel they are at least 0.5mm deep in amplitude

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Must be the competition feed ramp. There's less surface for the round to make contact with = faster loading. ;)

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts
Amplitude?

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
If the firearm is functioning fine....look the other direction and ignore those "rough spots". Sometimes people will damage a good working firearm by trying to make it "look nicer". The people who designed the 995 knew what they were doing. They allowed for these rough surfaces. I lived very close to MKS Supply and knew someone who worked with them. He pointed out that the man who designed the 995 was one smart dude who figured out how to make a carbine that worked well for very little money. That takes some smarts. So leave it alone. Yes, a piece of 400 Grit sand paper and your fingers can be used for a gentle "touch up' but leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts