histed Supporting Member

lklawson submitted a new Article:

Random Thoughts on the 64F Savage

Read more about this article here...

daveindenver likes this.
  2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Good article. Informative.

Is the stock 'over-stiff' so much that it detracts from shooting?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I read flexible, not stiff, except relative to the Axis stock. Savage is known to have really crappy low end plastic stocks, even the Savage fanbois complain about it.

In the article, it mentions fouling. I'm not sure about the actual meaning here, but .22's are generally going to leave crap...and that's a good thing. Many serious shooters don't "clean" a .22 barrel until accuracy starts going bad, as it hurts accuracy until you do a mag or two to get it fouled again. Many just use a patch on a rod or a pull through to smooth things out, and get th worst crud out.

4. 3Js

3Js Henderson/Las Vegas NV Member

Good article. I agree with his overall review.
    I haven't taken mine down yet. Just cleaned the bore.
    Have only run Aguila Super Extra HV Plated 40 gr. RN with absolutely no issues.

My 64F

[​IMG]

5. histed

histed Supporting Member

Ajole - you are absolutely correct. This stock is fairy flexible and I intend to replace it with a Boyds in the near future. And we all know that .22 is pretty dirty across the board. I cleaned my rifle pretty often for just the reason stated - I wanted to try to assess accuracy. Cleaning this thing is a pain, but not much more than cleaning my JHP

ajole likes this.
  6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My Mark II is really bendy as well, but it shoots pretty darned straight.:hunt:

7. daveindenver

daveindenver Supporting Member

I put 2K rounds through my 64F in the year I had it. Liked it a lot. Best groups with CCI.

But it had the "light strike" problem that some have where it shows a light strike or no strike at all. Went back to factory twice and there was some improvement each time. The third time I took it back to Cabs with still a 10% fail rate, and just inside the 12mo warranty, and showed them a handful of weak and missing strikes they bought the gun back from me on the spot at my original price.

I miss the gun... but not the light strikes.

8. electro-motive

electro-motive Member

9. electro-motive

electro-motive Member

I bought one of these from a pawn shop a few months ago. It was in very good condition and I paid $85 out the door. Took it to the range and fired an assortment of 22LR ammo (about 200 rounds) with no failures or jams of any kind. The iron sights were off on the windage by about 2 inches at 50 ft. A brass drift punch took car of that issue. On the way home I stopped by Academy Sports and bought and extra factory 10 rd. mag for it ($19.95) I'm well pleased overall.

moona11 likes this.
  10. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Big fan of Savage rifles here. Enjoyed the article as well.

Disappointed at the groups you were getting though. I would expect a Savage, any .22 rifle really, to shoot inside an inch from a rest at 50 yards. They are squirrel rifles, and you need that kind of accuracy to keep inside a squirrel's head.

Ajole might have hit the nail on the head. The barrel was too clean. Most .22's do like fouled barrels. I normally just swab the bore on my .22's. They get fouling shots after a deep cleaning.

11. histed

histed Supporting Member

Good point. And let's face it - there are umpteen types of .22 out there now that the Great Obamascare is over. My test was far from exhaustive. And a better scope or better eyes could shrink those groups without much trouble, I'm guessing