Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to this forum but not to others. I read lots of threads on this forum before buying my 4095 and thought I would register and post my results incase anyone is on the fence like I was.

I searched for several days looking for any information on maximum range and accuracy of the 4095 before I bought mine. I heard they were accurate up to 130 yards with hand reloads. I also heard they took a ground hog out at 235 yards at the factory. But you never know if what your reading is true.

I spent Saturday at my In-laws family range sighting in my 4095 and a few other rifles.

I have a Center Point shot gun mill dot scope mounted on it with a custom mount I made. I zeroed it at 50 yards from the bench putting 5 rounds i a group about an inch apart using Blazer Brass 180 grain FMJ. I then loaded the magazine with hand loaded 165 grain Winchester FMJs slightly hot. It shot three inches high and the group tightend up to about 1/2 inch.

We moved back to 285 yards to shoot some bowling pins and water jugs with the 30-06 and my new .223. When we were done I pulled out my High Point just for kicks. I took the first shot with the cross hairs on center mass of the pin. The shot landed five feet in front, I took five more shots moving up the mill dots. The last shot went over the pin. I loaded my other magazine with 155 Grain Winchester JHP also hand loads. The first shot with the cross hairs again on center mass, the shot fell 15 feet short 9 shots later the bowling pin was down. I couldn't believe it! 285 yards!!!

Now I should probably explain the conditions we were shooting in. High gusty winds, we were elevated on a hill shooting down across a large pond. It was 53 degrees and partly sunny. I was not taking my time on the shots maybe a shot every second. If I had taken my time and reloaded with the 165 grain rounds instead of the 155 JHP, I would have hit the pin 10 out of the 15 shots I took. Each shot hit right where the vertical line of the scope was placed.

I by no means would take a shot at an animal at that range because of the high probability of survival. But at 200 even 225 I would have no problem with taking out animals smaller than a coyote.

Like a jackass I did not take any pictures while I was there but I will when I go back for a skeet and trap tournament next month.

This gun worked out to be far better than anticipated. I wanted to tune it to shoot 150 yards for Coyotes or any other varmit and I think I accomplished that.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about picking one up. I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congrats on the new carbine and welcome aboard. Sounds like a great time and good shooting. Any photos of that scope mount?

Mike

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
:welcome:

Those Hi-Point carbines are devilish lil' things aren't they? Sounds like a good time at the range man, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I tell ya, that .40 round seems to hold it's juice a lot longer than 9mm.

I have shot 9mm a lot more than .40, at 25, 50 and 100 yards. It's great but at 100 yards I have to compensate and I feel like it's on and off.

But the first time shooting .40 at the same range, I was ripping paper at 50 yards and whacking metal plates at 100 yards with little trouble. It just felt a lot more consistent with the bigger round. And I've shot AKs and ARs at the same targets, so I have some perspective.

I think if you go too heavy and too slow (.45?) the effect starts to work against you. In other words, lots of bullet drop beyond 50 yards. But the .40, especially in 165g, seems to be a good compromise.

My two cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad I chose the .40 over the 9mm. I did it mainly because I have a S&W M&P .40c and I didn't want to add another caliber to my growing collection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts