Range problems with the 4595

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by RedBird94, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedBird94

RedBird94 Member

OK, Today my brother and I were at the 50 yard range to sight in the scope on my 4595. Stretching her out from 25yds to 50yds. I'm have no luck getting on target so my brother wants to try. He's been shooting his bolt action 7mm magnum. So, we load 3 rounds, he pulls the charging handle, and we get a stove pipe. Clear it. chamber one and get a failure to eject. He did this 3 times. Turns out he was steadying the gun by draping his hand over the scope. The charging handle is hitting his hand , yes it cut him. Now the charging handle will not snap forward like it used to. It will go if you give it a little push. What did we bend, or how do I fix this??:wah:

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'm betting the jams bent the firing pin.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

I agree, check the pin. Then, teach your brother hold to properly hold a rifle.

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The way that I've always steadied my rifles with my off hand is to bend it at the elbow and use it to hold onto the rear, bottom of the butt stock, while the forend rests on the sandbag or whatever you are using for your rest. Let the elbow of that off-hand limb stretch forward, alongside the rifle, thereby providing additional rock-solid support.

Besides holding onto the bottom, rear of the butt stock, you can hold a small rice bag under it, thereby allowing subtle elevation changes by squeezing or loosening the grip on the bag.

For the record, touching the scope while shooting can upset its orientation slightly, even if everything is locked down. Don't touch the sights or optics while shooting.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

Right, but that's not draping your hand over the scope. There's no way to make that kind of hold a good one.

6. RedBird94

RedBird94 Member

it did fire fine afterwards, just the action would not slide easily forward. primer strikes looked normal. He is Navy sniper qualified. I wouldn't question how he holds his rifle when he is doing dime size 5 shot groups at 100 yds with his 7mm magnum rifle. he just wanted to try the 4595 and didn't move his hand position from the gun he's used to.

7. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

First thing I (meaning, ME) would do is to carefully loosen and remove the charging handle bolt and handle. Then, insert a long 1/4-20 bolt into place to use as a makeshift handle and then, actuate the action to see if it still has difficulty sliding forward. If not, you most likely bent the charging handle bolt and it is causing the action to somehow bind up. If it still does not slide forward easily, you have at least eliminated the possibility of a bent charging handle bolt as being the problem.
    j.

8. In some disciplines that is common, and called the "taco" hold. I guess it requires a stronger than usual mount? :confused:

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

Am i the only person on this forum who's shooting buddy isn't a professional sniper?

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Mine is a hillbilly with money.......

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

Just amazes me how many times its "....is a police/military sniper or weapons instructor"

12. slade601

slade601 Member

You have to be extremely specific afterwards otherwise it isn't true.

13. Nope - me neither....

But when I was in Newport News, VA the range I shot at had some SEALS come out from time to time. Very interesting toys, plus they gave me their brass, strippers & bandoleers; I now have a lifetime supply! :D

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I do know a lot of snipers from my different jobs and trainings but I rarely shoot with them at a range. And I do work on 2 rifles for or snipers. I don't shoot them I let them do it. If I would mess something up on the range they would never let it go. Still looking for a mall ninja friend to have to round out the crew.

15. RedBird94

RedBird94 Member

You all can knock my brother all you want. He has 2 purple hearts and was special forces in Viet Nam. I have sat and watched him put 5 , 5 shot groups in dime size holes from 100 yards. If you haven't met him or know him, Just shut the F up. Most of you aren't fit to wash his socks. A true war hero. and a damn good shot. He's qualified to fire everything from a .22 to a 105mm howitzer and has done it. Before you mouth off, maybe you should know what you're talking about.:mad:

16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

1. I didn't bad mouth your brother.
    2. Its funny so many people know a sniper.
    3. You come here and get teased a little and you get butt hurt. Get over your self. A lot of us are vets and we mess with each other. Your brother is a big boy he can handle himself.
    4. As for telling me to shut the F up good luck with that. I can only think you meant me as I was the last one to post.
    5. Your whinny ass needs a new diaper. Have your brother join he'll be more than welcome to be part of the family.

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Yeah, I didn't see bad mouthing your brother either.....

18. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Neither did I. Although, if he were here, he would probably get some ribbing from the Army guys for doing a Navy sniper school instead of an Army sniper school.

19. talon

talon the banned wagon

Im not even gonna comment. Although it always amazes me its usually the ones with the sniper/shooting instructor buddies with the simple questions that thier professional shooter buddies cant answer.....

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  20. RedBird94

RedBird94 Member

Just didn't like the fact That I posted looking for help, and what do I get " Am i the only person on this forum who's shooting buddy isn't a professional sniper?" and other questioning comments. Yes I do know several snipers, some army some Navy. You know what? Instead of questioning what people say, I try and learn from them. Why not just offer helping suggestions and keep your other comments to yourself

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.