****Range Report**** Mossberg 151M (b)

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by Dagwood, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Picked up this Mossy 151M (b) At the gun show yesterday. Took her to the range today.

She ran like a champ! I had one stovepipe out of around 200 rds. I blame the ammo.

I was shooting at 10, 15 and 30 rds. This one's missing the rear sights, but this Webley 4x zeroed quite nicely!

I love this rifle!!!

P.S. the last photo has the obligatory feet in the shot.

Attached Files:

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Very nice!
    The 151 was my first Mossberg. I have 11 of them now.:p

3. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Really nice! Thanks for the pictures with the report. Those are always welcome. Range reports are my favorite part of the day.

4. Dagwood

Other than the late model 702 plinksters that I have ( which are awesome btw) this is my first classic mossberg!

What a sweet little rifle!!

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I really gotta limber up the old Mossberg 64T I bought back in '13 for cheap...
    $165, private sale, including 100 rounds of 22MAG which is the latest "hen's teeth" ammo.

Nice Deal, DAG!

6. Dagwood

I never see any .22 mag ammo in my neck of the woods, and .22 short, forget about it...

7. Yup, Zombie thread. :mumy:
    I got my 151M (b) at a live auction back in September 2016 for the princely sum of $25 (it ended up being a total of $57.67 after all the fees). :(
    It was a bit of a mess and in between all the other life activities I've been gradually cleaning it up. The gun was missing the breech plug and the sights were (and still are) a mess, plus it had a classic and frustrating case of failing to feed as described in this rimfire central post http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352687
    Turned out to be the flat spring was loose, I got that squared away and finally took it out to the range today. All that seems to be left to do it to dial in the scope on it and it'll be a real tack driver! Love the gun!

Attached Files:

8. Dagwood

Glad you're loving it! I have several old Mossy's now since I first posted this thread. Gotta love em!! I don't take em out as much as I should. I am hanging on to them for when the grand kids get a little older. I'll teach em how to shoot and pass em down to em' if they're interested.

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    You Jokers, Riddle Me THIS:

Attached Files:

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Loading chute. The 151 loads into a tube in the buttstock, like a Remington Nylon or some other guns.

11. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That's how you load it.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Adam...you stole it! Even as a fixer-upper, you done good!

The correct target sights might be $100-$150, so I'd say get the right screws to plug all the holes, and stay with the scope.

13. Thanks!
    Ajole, you read my mind, I'm just going to get the right screws. The sights are interesting, particularly the front "pick-a-sight" set up.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    This is the Bible for old Mossbergs.

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/models.htm

You can use several similar sights, even if incorrect, they varied between the sub-models of the 151. I see some on e-bay for not crazy money, so maybe....;)

Like this one....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossberg-Ea...3Ae181149815c0a9925ec61729fffccbd1%7Ciid%3A15

15. Liked the Mossy so much I had to get a nicer one with the correct sights, nicer stock, etc. (I also posted this in "What gun did you buy today")

Attached Files:

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Now you need to look for the bolt action gun to match. The 42M and 46M are the same type of stock, but no tube in the buttstock, the 42 uses a mag, the 46 has a tube under the barrel. The 46(a) or (b) are the same man sized tube fed bolt gun, with a different fore end, and usually cheaper. IIRC, they all have adjustable triggers, too.

The post war 46 has a 20 round tube, or 30 shorts, goes clear out to the muzzle, on a 26" barrel.

17. Ajole, I think the link is dead.

220 ftp.epix.net FTP server ready.
    500 GET not understood
    500 HOST: not understood
    500 CONNECTION: not understood
    500 UPGRADE-INSECURE-REQUESTS: not understood
    500 USER-AGENT: not understood
    500 ACCEPT: not understood
    500 DNT: not understood
    500 REFERER: not understood
    500 ACCEPT-ENCODING: not understood
    500 ACCEPT-LANGUAGE: not understood
    500 Invalid command: try being more creative
    421 Login timeout (300 seconds): closing control connection

Over on Rimfire Central they've tried to save what they could, but the links to the pictures are broken. Major bummer.

Turns out my 1st 151 is a 151M(a) (it has a steel butt plate) and this recent acquistion was touted as a 151M(d). However, I can't find anything on the (d) variation, Google keeps giving me results for (b). :confused:

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The link comes up for me, no sweat. Not the pics, you can't click them and go anywhere, but the page loads with the pics intact, on my machines.

Try this one, he has pages for every little thing Mossberg ever did for a .22...

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/

And no, there is no (d) model.

19. ridgeryder

ridgeryder Member

W. N.C.
    Here’s another link that may be of use: http://www.havlinsales.com/ . I have the same link Ajole gave you. Link works, but some links are dead. (IE:, everything for my 640K-A is now missing.) :(

20. My Mossberg 151M (A) and (B)

So here are the two Mossberg 151Ms together.

The bottom one is a 151M(A) -it has a steel buttplate and is wearing a scope since it's missing the rear sight.
    The top is the 151M(B) with the correct factory sights. It's in much better overall shape.

Sorry there aren't any feet in the picture, but I've included a nosy little hairy critter that looks far better anyway.

Attached Files: