Range toy?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by ThreePercenterJHP, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ThreePercenterJHP

ThreePercenterJHP Member

Why do people refer to a reliable and accurate platform like the 995ts as a "range toy" only when its brought up in a self defense conversation. If I can get 2 inch grouping at 100 yrds and sight my laser at 20 yards then I'm pretty sure I have an effective weapon platform that would cover most self defense situations I can think of.

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Some people do and some don’t.
    Most people here have more then one gun so they tend to allocate a certain gun to a certain role.
    Back in the days when my JHP was my only gun it was my HD piece.
    Now it’s my road trip gun and I have a large capacity 9 backed up by a 12 gauge backed up by an AK for when the zombies surround my house.
    Cue 3-2-1 somebody to say I’ve got my order wrong.

Twisty, CowboyBob and Bertus like this.

3. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    I bet a lot of guys and galls use the HP carbine for home protection, and a range toy.

I think some refer to it as a range toy because of its construction and blow back action though.

If you can get 2 inch groups at 100 yards that is awesome!

ThreePercenterJHP and CowboyBob like this.
  4. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I'm having a hard time believing 2" groups with any PCC at 100yds. Yes, a 995TS is a dependable weapon. The 20rd Redball mags work good.

5. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    The only PCC's I have seen that can pull off a 2 inch group at 100 yards are a Ruger 44mag with the "right" ammo, and a 10-22 with a little luck and the right ammo. I consider both of those PCCs, but I don't think my 4595 could achieve that bench mark at 50 yards consistently.

6. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

I can get a 2" group at 50 yards on a good day. At longer distances the circle grows.....lol !!!

7. Shroomish

Shroomish Saved by Grace through Faith Member

My 2 cents on this is that most of us here in the United States have access to a variety of firearms in a variety of calibers. We are also constantly subjected to advertising that works to brainwash us into the belief that we need the latest and biggest "tool" to do the job. Don't use a shovel to dig that hole....buy a Caterpillar D9!

So as Histed pointed out so astutely in his recent article entitled "Good Enough" we drink the Kool-aid and lose the capacity to be content with what works...as you said in your post...in the endless effort to instead acquire and use the latest, greatest, BIGGEST MOST POWERFUL "tool" we can borrow enough to obtain in our quest for "battlefield dominance". o_O

Of course...YMMV

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Depends on the ammo, shooter, gun ask Rach how he shoots.

9. histed

histed Supporting Member

Not a fair comparison. Rach is a machine - a bone-if-eyed, lazer controlled, steelie eyed ....yeah, not a fair comparison to mere mortals;)

10. It might have more to do with point blank zero and sight heights, consistent ammo and the skills of the shooter than the firearm itself

DIRSUPop and ThreePercenterJHP like this.
  11. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

My 2 cents. My range toys are the ones that carry higher value, either monetary or sentimental. They never get used outside of the range. I just don’t want to get them scratched up or worse.

My working guns are those that I don’t care if they get holster wear, scratches etc. a gouge in the stock of my Mossberg 464 brush gun is not going to bother me too much. I would likely cry if I gouged the stock of my 1873 Springfield.

Then there are the safe queens. Never fired only taken out of the safe so I can rub on them from time to time.

my 995ts is a working gun....but it won’t shoot 2 moa.

12. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    When someone says that a 995 is a range toy, they are implying that it is not up to the task of a serious fighting tool. I can see both sides of the coin. If that is all you got, it is not bad, but there are so many better options.

13. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    All of my guns fall into that category:)

CowboyBob likes this.
  14. TNTRAILERTRASH

My SCCY isn't a range toy. It is a torture machine. It is dependable, accurate and raises a blister on my thumb knuckle and pops it before I realize it's happened. It goes out every once in a while. Use it too much it kicks itself to death. Pins walk, extractor came loose once.

The 995TS will survive a nuclear blast, like a cockroach, and herpes................. :stir:

15. Firsthand experience? :lurk:

undeRGRound likes this.
  16. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    If only the stocks would not split, mags fail, and the front sight fall off;)

17. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I still get fliers that ruin good groups.

But I think there's a target pic floating around of me making quarter-sized groups at 75y with a 4095.

18. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

after the apocalypse all that will be left is cockroaches carrying Hi Points!

undeRGRound, Twisty, DIRSUPop and 4 others like this.
  19. TNTRAILERTRASH

With herpes

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    18 HPs, and none of that is true in my personal experience.

Have had Ruger 10/22 OEM 10 round mags fail, though. A Henry AR7 front sight fell off. The old Stevens 107b stock is cracked. But it’s like, 70 years old, I think.

Are you unlucky enough to have had that happen to your HP’s, personally?

moona11 likes this.