Range Trip... Report On My 10/22's Ammo Likings +MORE

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Strangerous, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Alrighty guys i took all 3 of my kids to the shooting range... There's the Ruger 10/22, Bersa/Firestorm .380, and the Maverick Model 88 Pistol Grip boomstick.
    [​IMG]
    And i had way too much fun with the pistol grip shotty... i can not "snap" my fingers with my right hand anymore... and i also found out that after 16 rounds of the shotty, trying to aim the Bersa was a little trying. I had to switch hands on the Bersa's handle, just to steady the thing. Next time i will shoot the firearms in this order: 10/22 or bersa, and the shotty LAST. I shot 35 rounds through the shotty before the range venture was over. Yep, That's 100 rounds of 12ga on the table.

Now for the good stuff!

Ammo for the 10/22 ranged in price and quality. I tested 3 very different (i think) brands.

This is also my first time out with my new extended mag release, 2 piece bolt buffer, and my 3 Eagle 30 round mags.

First topic for this report is the magazine:

The Magazine Eagle International 30 round - Smoke:
    [​IMG]

Not a complaint as of today. A speed loader would be nice, but that will have to wait. With this mag's plastic lips, you do not get the familiar smoothe loading feel as with the stock rotary, but it's not meant to be the stock rotary; So I will let that slide.

AMMO TESTING

The first is Aguila's SSS Subsonic:
    [​IMG]

Caddywompus... Put a keyhole in the target every time. They were shy of the aim mark by 2-3 inches at 50 yards. Not only did these "sniper rounds" fail to stabilize, but they STINK. The smell coming from the chamber smelled of burnt plastic, and was not ignorable. I believe it was due to the projectile itself. I was able to marr it with my fingernail, it seemed to be a very "Plastic-y" projectile.

The second is American Eagle by Federal:
    [​IMG]

These were the cheapest .22 lr rounds the gun shop stocked when i purchased my 10/22, and he threw in these 2 boxes on the way out of the door. I had very good luck with this round today. Not a single dud, all fired and all were ejected perfectly. Accuracy was a little high at 50 yards, to be expected as these are "High velocity" rounds.

The third is Remington Golden Bullets:
    [​IMG]

These too would shoot slightly high at the 50yard stick. I loaded up 3 x 30rnd mags and the 10rnd rotary mag with these golden bullets for a total of 100 rounds. I had 4 failure to fire... for a 1:25 ratio of duds. and 2 stovepipes. I don't think my 10/22 likes them at all! I will not use them again.

Thanks for reading my range report. I hope i did well, if you have any questions or smartypants remarks just let me know! :lol:

2. need to go shoot winchester and federal.

I know some people who like the Remington .22's but I am NOT among them. I bought a bulk pack and had SEVERAL that were so deformed they wouldn't feed, several ftf, fte's, and two had the bullet separate from the casing inside my rifle...

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I believe Winchester, Federal, and CCI will be my next range trip ammo.

4. browwiw

browwiw Member

Strange thing is, Federal is the only ammo that gives my 10/22 problems. It's feeds and fires everything else I've tried flawlessly. But, I can't get through ten rounds of Federal without a stove pipe.

When I first got it all I shoot through it was Federals. I thought the high rate of misfires was do to the rifle itself (and I learned quite a bit about stripping down and cleaning every conceivable surface and moving part in the action), but one day I switched to Winchester and not a problem since.

Also, I do enjoy CCI. This summer I pretty much became a groundhog serial killer (fifteen in 3 months! no wonder dad's tomato plants weren't getting anywhere) I started referring the the CCI high velocities as the 'death ray'. With normal ammo and head shots I always had a little spasming or tail rotation, but those CCIs just made them fall over kaput.

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Each firearm likes different ammo. I found that out through many of the other member's posts, so i went prepared to experiment. But don't you worry, the search is not over for the rifle's favorite food, not by a long shot.
    Kudos on the groundhog headshots!

6. browwiw

browwiw Member

Well, considering I had shot a total of 15 I had a lot of practice. The last 4 or 5 I actually shot through the ears. The very last one I had to shoot twice because the first shot went through its eyes. That was kind of awful.

7. rodka

rodka Member

if you want to be able to eat any .22lr ammo get the best .22 on the market the marlin 60. :lol:

8. yeah you're not alone w/ federal problems browwiw. I know a guy who has feed issues w/ it from both of his 10/22's but it works perfectly in my roommates.

9. Fed bulk pack (36gr HP's) feed and function very well in my 10/22, but they are about soda can accurate at 50 yards. I use them for informal plinking because they are reliable and provide few dud's.

Oh yeah... Watching Strangerous shoot his pistol grip boom stick was very funny, wish I had a vid of it. When he started complaing about the pain in his hand I said... "told ya so, should have got the one with the butt stock".... oh... he was only shooting low brass skeet loads too! Cant wait to load him up with some buck and see what happens... might just take the vid camer for that one next time we go to the range...LOL

10. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Rimfirehunter lies, i was not complaining about it hurting, i was complaining about for it made my right hand "spasm" when trying to aim my little bersa. Since i went quickly from the shotty to the pistol. After i did my 35 rounds with the shotty I started loading my .22 mags, and found that i didn't have any strength in my right thumb (still can't snap my fingers), to push the rounds in as normal. But i'm Ambidextrous, I found a new way to load them.

After the 1st 8 shots, RFH asks "Well, what do you think" and my reply was "It's about what i expected." and left it at that. If we didn't have to give the range up to a CWP class i would have shot all 100 rounds. I was throwng 7 1/2 shot shells.

RFH only pulled the trigger on the boomstick ONCE, what does that tell you? I even treated his @$$ to lunch since we took his vehicle to the range. The nerve of some people!

11. rodka

rodka Member

i know what you mean strangerous ive got a pistol grip on my maverick and a 20 inch barrel and all i fire is buckshot. it will mess the meat of your hand under the thumb up if you fire to much. feels like the muscle is bruised.

12. Higher IQ?

:D

14. All us Carolina-ers need to get together for a shoot sometime, perhaps in the springtime?

15. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

No doubt we should get together, hopefully i wont be working 7 days a week come springtime. But who knows?