Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this next weekend I will be hunting wild boar on a friends ranch in Beverly Ohio not far from me.
Yes, there is Razorback in The Great State of Ohio. I have a friend who asked me to hunt it down. I will be taking my father in law.
As for my piece I will of course take my Dan Wesson .44 mag and maybe the PLR16 which just got a scope but isn't scoped in.

My father in law thinks I should use his 4095 on which I gave him an old Square red dot scope. It's scope in and I have a ton of 40S&W on hand.
He will be using his new 460 Magnum Gawd damn you need double hearing protection to fire it!
Yes, there will be pictures if we nail this boar and proudly holding the 4095 over the carnage! This is something I am REALLY looking forward to, its the hunt of a life time.

Big question: Would the 40 S&W be a good boar killer?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
As a back up maybe, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I would get your PLR sighted in. Of the guns you listed (except the 460, I have one and there ain't much it wouldn't take down quick) the PLR is probably the best suited for razorbacks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Good question. I honestly don't know. I've had my eye on the 4095 though. I've wondered if the .40 S&W carbine can be shoehorned in to some of the roles usually reserved for pistol caliber lever guns. Either way, I plan on getting one, and the .45 too when it is available.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not make it interesting and hunt the cave man way...a spear and a stone club! Really though, one reason I don't hunt is because we have such an unfair advantage over animals. I just don't feel good about gunning down an animal that is just trying to survive like the rest of us. Now if that pig was causing trouble thats different. If animals could shoot back then that would be lots of fun!
It's open season for a reason on wild boar, they deforest quick. They almost deforested Hawaii. They also are dangerous to humans, so it's not like Bambi. Plus I LOVE ham and will be harvesting the meat it's not a trophy hunt.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I LOVE ham and will be harvesting the meat it's not a trophy hunt.
Mmm bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good. :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
here in Texas we have ferral hogs, you can hunt them year round. I have seen what a heard of them can do to a wheat field in one or two nights. bambi they aint. and give them a chance they will get a person just as fast. and some of them get huge too.
so I dont have a problem with you going to get it. have a blast (pun intended).

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
I do not hunt as I have no need to at this time. I will kill an animal if it needs killing.

If TEOTWAWKI ever happens, I will become an avid hunter, that I am sure of.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Griff..if their a problem thats different. Just a question about your link landoverbaptist...is that a serious link or just for fun?
Landover Baptist is a joke website. It's funny, if you ever laughed at a fundamentalist who (while frothing at the mouth mind you) screams that dinosaurs are not real, that the Satan made them to make God seem fake to those on the fence. If you ever spoke to a fanatical, zealot fundamentalist who proclaims you are going to hell because your not going to their church, on their street, routinely and have been baptized there, you would find it funny.
Not just that your not a member of the Church of Christ but you must be a part of the "3rd street Church of Christ in Marietta Ohio." or else you go to hell. Its funny how these types call themselves Christian but are allowed to be racists?
Another such church in my town is the http://mariettabiblecc.org/ where in if you don't belong, well sir, your in league with Lucifer.
basically Landoverbaptist pokes fun at people who take their Jimmy Jones minister types too seriously. I don't attend such churches and find them amusing. I attend a Episcopalian church or Methodist or Roman Catholic.

As for the Razorback, my friend is legally blind and a fellow Lion's Club member, his dog could be at risk as well as his horses. His ranch hand told me that there are already several dead trees and possible some horses harassed. The hog is around 300 lbs by the farm hand account. At the local slaughterhouse I can get him trimmed and my deep freeze full for $40! YES!
I will be using 44 mag and the 40 S&W.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts