Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up an rcbs 3 die set for 25 bucks from a guy at work. I should be able to load .38 special with these. i am planning on using my 124gr LRN 9mm tumble lube boolits to load up some light plinkers in my buddies .357 mag ruger security six.

thoughts???

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
RCBS .357 dies will work for .38 Special, as I have a set of those exact dies. However, using the 9mm boolits for those loads, make sure you mic out the boolits. A 9mm is .355 and .38 special takes .357 boolits. I am not saying that it's not safe, just be careful. You may have to crimp the rounds a bit more than normal due to the size difference, but it shouldn't be much.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 9mm Drops fat. I slugged the barrel, and found my rounds to be .001 over what the rugers barrel was. it has a really tight barrel. I need to get a lee factory crimp die anyways.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
.001 really isn't that big, but on the other hand, a factory crimp die isn't that expensive. Sounds like you have it pretty much figured out. For me, I just went ahead and bought a .357/38 bullet mold from Lee as I wanted to shoot Semi Wad Cutters out of my Charter. Of course, that's just a personal preference, as I like the pretty round holes they make in the paper.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will probably buy a SWC TL mold from lee at the next gun show i go to. Nobody seems to have anything reloading right now. i cant even find any unique, except for the one shop that wants 25 bucks for a LB. i might just bight the bullet and drive to midway.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Hell, if I was close enough to Midway, I'd drive there with a full paycheck and just buy a metric ton of anything I could afford.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's about a 2.5 hr drive for me, but i think it would be worth it to dodge the haz mat fees, that is if i take the cavalier and not the truck down there.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Midway drop ships all of their hazmat from their suppliers as I have been told by reloaders in the Columbia Mo. area.I would call and check first though. Graf's has all their listed powder and primers on sight. Graf's is about 1 hr east and north of Columbia Mo. About 45miles+/-. Thay are on the south side of Mexico,Mo. on business 54. about 1 mi. North of US 54.
Call first to be sure thay have what you want in stock.

Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.