Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now on my second post, and need some honest info. I'm told or it's been inferred that my HP is not reliable new or that I'm lucky that I've never had an issue with my firearm. I've even been told this at the range and gun shop where I shoot even though this shop sells HP's in pistols and carbines. My experience has been no trouble out of the box or ever, without any sort of feed ramp polishing or clipazine tweak. The only thing I did was cycle ammo through the magazines for a couple weeks before I went to the range the first time. I'm contemplating another purchase from HP just to see if I got lucky the first time.
So my question is have any of you had to jump through hoops to get your HP working or was it smooth sailing from the get go ? Was I the lucky one to get a reliable pistol ?

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Some new HPs need to go through a breaking in period and not all mags are created equal. In other words, "Yea, you got lucky".

And Kudos on your use of "clipazine". Thank you for your support.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
My carbine has been 100 percent reliable. Whenever people see it at the range, they all start bashing HP and saying what a crappy gun it is.
Then I put a redball in it and do a 20 round mag dump and they normally shut up pretty quick.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Over the last few years, I have owned or shot 4 different C-9's. 3 of the 4 needed the magazines tweaked to make them reliable. The one that didn't need tweaking was the newest one. So, maybe they have improved the mags over the years? Or maybe it was just luck of the draw.
That being said, I have also dealt with several of the 40's and 45's. And they didn't need mag adjustments. Although one of the 40's did need a feed ramp polish to make it reliable.

·
Super Moderator
28,307 Posts
Now on my second post, and need some honest info. I'm told or it's been inferred that my HP is not reliable new or that I'm lucky that I've never had an issue with my firearm. I've even been told this at the range and gun shop where I shoot even though this shop sells HP's in pistols and carbines.
Did you ask for this guy's opinion?

I don't get it. Why on earth do "gun guys" at the LGS think I want their opinion? Do they offer unsolicited opinions on Boxes vs Briefs? Sneakers vs Toeshoes? Old Spice vs Hai Karate?

Seriously, tell 'em "thanks, but I didn't ask." :rolleyes:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Banned
6,069 Posts
Out of the 200 different guns that I may have shot in my life, the 3 worst guns were;
colt mustang 380
kahr cm9
inter tec 9
Failure to Fire, Failure to Eject. The tec 9 was not only a "jam a matic", it couldn't hit a barn if you were "standing inside!"
So as far as reliability goes?

Any machine built by man, is subject to malfunction at anytime!

NEVER believe anything you hear & only 1/2 of what you see?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Never had any issues with my 995TS. Worked right out of the box.

But then, I've also had a Windows PC that rarely crashes, once owned a Ford that never gave me any problems, and my wife never gets PMS.

The Privileged Character Card. Don't leave home without it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Did you ask for this guy's opinion?

I don't get it. Why on earth do "gun guys" at the LGS think I want their opinion? Do they offer unsolicited opinions on Boxes vs Briefs? Sneakers vs Toeshoes? Old Spice vs Hai Karate?

Seriously, tell 'em "thanks, but I didn't ask." :rolleyes:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
No it was completely unsolicited, but to be honest I've had completely opposite reactions from people on the range that either think they are reliable or have a favorable opinion of Hi-points.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
The only issue I have ever had was on a new c9. A little adjustment to the feed lips and it has been perfect. As far as the unsolicited negativity goes, I have only heard it about pistols. When people at the range see my carbine they are usually interested. Many guys have asked if they could shoot it. I don't think I would ever ask a guy if I could shoot their gun, but I always get kind of a kick out of guys asking to shoot my carbine.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Had some FTF issues at first. MoM tweaked it for me. Good warranty. Works great now. All 11 mags were 100%.

I think all gun manufacturers have a small percentage of guns that have problems. HiPoint's might be a little higher. But most should work.

Would I trust my life to it? At this point, now that it is broken in and I have put about 1000 rounds through it? Yes, I would.

·
Premium Member
35,579 Posts
10 HP pistols, 7 carbines, all 4 calibers. I've had to tweak 1 or 2 .40 mags and several 9 mm mags, never had to mess with the .45 or the mags that came with the .380's, but then, my .380's were all bought used.

Yep, they are reliable.:)

But....of my "many" other guns, only three have had any magazine related issues, or been unreliable simply due to the mag. The polymer Tanfoglio 10 mm, the M69 Romanian .22 rifle, and the Charter Arms AR-7 extended capacity mag.

So I can understand when people are worried about the dreaded HP mag issue.

·
Simple by choice
2,191 Posts
Now on my second post, and need some honest info. I'm told or it's been inferred that my HP is not reliable new or that I'm lucky that I've never had an issue with my firearm. I've even been told this at the range and gun shop where I shoot even though this shop sells HP's in pistols and carbines. My experience has been no trouble out of the box or ever, without any sort of feed ramp polishing or clipazine tweak. The only thing I did was cycle ammo through the magazines for a couple weeks before I went to the range the first time. I'm contemplating another purchase from HP just to see if I got lucky the first time.
So my question is have any of you had to jump through hoops to get your HP working or was it smooth sailing from the get go ? Was I the lucky one to get a reliable pistol ?
With my C9 that I bought back in May no problems. Didn't do anything except load and unload the mag about a hundred times before taking it out to shoot the next day.
Knock on head.

·
Simple by choice
2,191 Posts
Never had any issues with my 995TS. Worked right out of the box.

But then, I've also had a Windows PC that rarely crashes, once owned a Ford that never gave me any problems, and my wife never gets PMS.

The Privileged Character Card. Don't leave home without it.
I have an ex-wife that at 60 still has PMS all the time.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Some new HPs need to go through a breaking in period and not all mags are created equal. In other words, "Yea, you got lucky".

And Kudos on your use of "clipazine". Thank you for your support.
As this is a firearms forum that should be "you got lucky, punk"

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have improved the performance of my C9 with an aftermarket glock spring in the magazines but it has always been reliable.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
I have a CF380 and a 995TS.

The CF380 has been 100% except when I tried some junk handloader that would not work in any of my 380's and when I fire it with the 995 mags. I think because the 995 mags wiggle around in the mag well. Not going to blame that on the gun.

The 995TS has been 100% for me, my nephew has had a couple of failure to feed the first round when loading, but I'm sure that's because he is not inserting the magazine all the way. It needs a firm shove to seat.

I have 12 995 mags and 8 380 mags. Never had to do anything to them. Just load them and shoot them.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,735 Posts
I have improved the performance of my C9 with an aftermarket glock spring in the magazines but it has always been reliable.
If it was reliable why did you need to fix it?? Or how have you improved its performance. Does it hit more accurately?, Shoot faster?, Make pew pew sounds now? What????

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
If it was reliable why did you need to fix it?? Or how have you improved its performance. Does it hit more accurately?, Shoot faster?, Make pew pew sounds now? What????
It still feeds rounds 100% reliably. Just now it does it with a superior attitude. As a bonus you can legally say "It feeds with Perfection".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts