Really Canada....really?

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by Rachgier, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Canada court rules air guns now classified as firearms

I know it's Canada but WTF over?!

The Supreme Court of Canada last week decided that air guns will be categorized as firearms in all cases but licensing and registration, where previously the guns were only given the classification when used in some offensive of unlawful purpose, the Canadian National Firearms Association announced.

Because of the new classification, air guns will now be considered in concealed weapons cases, regardless of whether the owner is committing an offense.

The Canadian gun rights group is calling on Parliament for a legislative amendment to the law.

Canadians are not required to obtain a license or take a safety course to possess air guns, so the new classification could put law-abiding citizens who would not otherwise be informed of the change at risk, according to the NFA.

“It will be left up to police, prosecutors and courts to determine what charges will be laid, which will be prosecuted and ultimately who will be found guilty of this nebulous and ambiguous offence,” the NFA said in a statement.

Air gun owners are now bound to the same requirements firearms owners are for storing, use and transportation, but because the country’s firearms storage regulations do not currently apply to air guns, there is ambiguity in what constitutes “careless storage,” the group said.

The new provision applies to any air gun capable of causing serious bodily injury or death, with the threshold set at any air gun capable of firing at more than 214 feet er second.

The court on Nov. 5 upheld a previous decision made by the Ontario Court of Appeals in R. v. Dunn.

2. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

What? 214 fps? I could chuck a rock almost that fast! Stupid.

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

214? Wouldn't that also include a lot of air-soft toy guns?

4. Rachgier

With those sort of low velocity restrictions, paintball guns are next....

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

They are making it so much easier for me when I become President and invaded Canada and Mexico. Then all HP members get Maple syrup.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And poutine...meat, gravy, cheese and potatoes, it's gotta be good.

I'm in, I want a chunk of BC, right on the coast.;)

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

has anyone ever died from a direct result of being hit by an airsoft projectile?

8. Rachgier

Well. We know they have been killed because of them. Not sure about by them. I'm sure if hit in that million dollar spot it could kill somebody.

EDIT: And as my son just pointed out so eloquently. "Only if you bash them in the head with it."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Well someone once shot a newborn point blank in the fontanelle. It cried.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There ARE airgun that shoot large caliber projectiles, like .25 and .38, or bigger, and get up over 100 ft lbs of energy, they hunt Javelina and even deer with them. So yeah, it can kill you.

I think this law is a weaker copy of the Brit law, if your air rifle can produce over 12 ft lbs of energy, or a pistol over 6, it requires a firearm license.
    In N. Ireland, it's about 1 ft lb....:rolleyes:

BTW...this isn't just Canada....New Jersey and Rhode Island call air guns firearms, or so I read.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  11. What?

What? Huh? Member

AZ
    That's so Criminals doesnt use it when rest of the guns are all banned from Law-Abiding Citizens.

12. Fixed it for you.

13. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

A dude I grew up with has been arrested twice for robbing a store and a guy at an atm with a....pellet pistol and airsoft gun.

As ridiculous as it sounds I can kind of understand where they are coming from since it sounds like they are mostly concerned with treating them like firearms when used in a crime.

14. What?

What? Huh? Member

AZ
    That's why Orange tip are at the end of the Barrel. I could paint the compensator orange and put it on the gun and folks wont know better until 900+ fps of projectile comes out.

Although, that would be a bit humor telling gun snob you got it from a kid that said it couldnt shoot BBs. :p

15. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Not all of them have orange tips though, most airsoft guns these days are rediculously accurate replicas too.

Like I said, kinda all for these a-holes that use them in crimes being treated as if they were using a real firearm, most of the victims certainly think they are, still not doing background checks or anything to buy them.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

And when they just stick their finger in their coat pocket?

I'm pretty sure that upcharges criminals, right?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Lol, vastly different comparison.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My point was that suggesting that BB guns be classified as the same thing as a gun because some criminals use them to fool people into believing that it's a real gun doesn't fly. It's already illegal to use a pretend gun in the commission of a crime.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

But yeah screw it why not?, that way when these peices of crap try to get less time for not having a weapon you can tell them "well thats not what you said, you admitted you had such and such weapon when you robbed this nice lady".

Did we let Sadam go when we found out there were no nukes? Hellllllll no!

20. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

hey.... The school current progressive school system believes that a pointed finger is a real gun and suspends students if they pretend. Or even if a student accidentally bites a pop-tart into a gun shape...... :confused:

[​IMG]