Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Carbon does have some smart ideas.  BUT, they have a long road to haul before getting to full production.  They are smart to try to move into a market that is at HUGE risk of being depleted when the Big 3 FINALLY get to restructuring.  The Diesel motor is a VERY smart choice, as is the modular body panels.  The Crown Vic is ancient and inefficent, the Malibu is a bit small in the wrong areas and the FWD doesn't help it's cause, The Chrysler Charger/300 just costs too much and isn't built for the long haul of idling for entire shifts at a time to maneuvering down thin city alleys.  Carbon knows police need a MIDSIZE, not a fullsize, police auto with RWD, efficency and ease of repair high on the list.

But, don't ever expect to be driving one yourself unless you're in the police (and possibly Taxi from their reports) industry.  A machine like this will probably either be leased to the department, or they will offer VERY lucrative trade in incentives to keep the technology proprietary.  THAT seems like the game plan they have. They make no bones about the fact that they are NOT making this for public consumption and this will be fleet/LEO ONLY

When it gets past prototype stage, THEN I'll be more keen on it.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I think they use Impalas, not Malibus. Regardless, the backseats are too small once the cages are installed.

I'd like to know where they're sourcing the diesel from. I would guess it's European, since they tend to focus a lot more on diesels there. I know Chrysler has a 3.0 diesel, but I don't know who makes it.

If the engine, trans, etc are European or otherwise oddball, maintenance costs and parts availability become a challenge. Also, while you can run diesels for extended intervals, they hate the cold, fuel filter changes are (relatively) expensive and oil changes become more expensive. Also, where I live, diesel costs a lot more per gallon than gasoline.

Edit: A Google search says that the engine is the Mercedes diesel that Chrysler will be using in certain platforms. Having the Chrysler dealer network helps the cause, but most dealers probably won't stock many parts and they will be expensive.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I would still argue that this is the answer:

Too bad GM killed off the 9C1 Caprice. It really was a great car.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
That carbon motors car looks really freakin' sweet! Only thing I didn't see is a place to put the laptop, as cops use these for dispatch and reports now.

·
Registered
638 Posts

The New Mexico State Police used to use these. My uncle had one for a while. It was equipped with a corvette engine. He had been clocked on I-10 doing 152.

I think that the Crown Vic. or a full size car is indeed necessary for LEO's. These cars need to be able to force other cars and often SUV's and Trucks off of the road. A mid sized car doesn't have the weight needed to perform the PIT maneuver IMO. I really like the diesel idea. I think more cars in the USA should be diesel.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
That carbon motors car looks really freakin' sweet! Only thing I didn't see is a place to put the laptop, as cops use these for dispatch and reports now.
It appears that the computer is built into the car the key board in located on the consoul

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The Malibu/Impala are on the same platform these days: It's the bolt on bits that are different. My issue is with the FWD and body configuration.

The Caprice, as well as the Crown Vic, are ancient standards that are inefficent and ill-equipped for every police situation. They're too slow compared to other V8 sedans, they're too heavy in the wrong ways, the handling is horrible, and while the Vic is a safe car, it's braking ability sucks and handling is worse than trying to dock with a space station!

Of course, making ONE police car to fit every environment is impossible. I think more cities like NYC, Phoenix and Chicago should switch to smaller turbocharged Diesel or gasoline wagons. Something like a TDI-esque Jetta wagon or the like: Small and easy to maneuver, yet plenty of room for equipment, passengers/prisoners and durable. Larger rural areas I think really SHOULD have an AWD option (sort of like a large bodied Subaru or Ford Mondeo). And, of course, interceptors should really be religated to special service. In fact, I really don't see what they can do that a BMW or Honda police bike cannot: Interceptors do NOT engage the suspect, only observe and track. A bike is FAR more maneuverable and quick than a car, and police cycle riders are usually considered some of the best of the force when it comes to riding ability.

But, Americans LOVE their V8's.....

I think Carbon stands a good chance. But, they're going to have to work for it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'll still prefer these...

or at the least, one of these...

·
Premium Member
367 Posts

The New Mexico State Police used to use these. My uncle had one for a while. It was equipped with a corvette engine. He had been clocked on I-10 doing 152.
They were electronically limited to 135 as far as I know. The engine was an LT1, however there were some differences from the Corvette such as aluminum heads and different tuning. B Body (that's the Caprice) was 260hp and the Y Body (Vette) was 300hp.

Unreconstructed: Gotta agree with you on the F Body cop cars. LS1 FTMFW.

Also, someone mentioned above that the Malibu and Impala share a platform. They do not. The Malibu rides on the Epsilon platform with the Aura and G6. The Impala rides on the W Body with the LaCrosse, Grand Prix and Monte Carlo.

·
Registered
638 Posts
[/quote]

They were electronically limited to 135 as far as I know.

[/quote]

Maybe some departments had theirs governed, but his was not. Now his Crown Vic that he currently drives will only do 138 because they have them governed.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Unreconstructed: Gotta agree with you on the F Body cop cars. LS1 FTMFW.
thats what I'm talking about...

as far as platforms go, you know anything about the new "zeta" platform that the fifth gen camaros are going to be built on?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
The Zeta platform development started from an existing plaform, stopped, was dropped altogether and then brought back from the dead for the new Camaro. They originally started working with it six or so years ago to underpin the Impala, LaCrosse and other mid to full size sedans. This was right around the time Chrysler was doing very well with the then new RWD 300.

A lot of the current architecture is derived from some of GM Australia's (Holden) platforms (Commodore, Ute, Caprice and Pontiac G8). The chassis itself is designed to be very versatile, so that many different cars can be based on it (coupes, sedans, wagons, whatever).

The new Camaro will be offered in LS, LT and SS trim levels. I believe the V6 will be a 3.6 liter DFI, straight from the CTS. It'll probably make about 300hp, which is only 10hp shy of the 2010 Mustang's V8. There will also be a 6.2 liter 426hp V8 and a 550 hp V8 that is straight from the CTS-V. I would suspect that a different pulley, exhaust and a custom tune would easily bump that engine up to the ZR1's output.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.