Rear sight & scope rings for flat top

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by MXGreg, Nov 2, 2015.

1. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I'm trying to decide on a flip-up rear sight and scope rings for my new flat top AR (my first flat top). Problem is, I'm not sure what I need. Instead of going with the trial and error method, I thought I'd ask here.

Below is a picture of my AR. What flip-up rear sight would I need to match up with the front sight? What height scope rings would I need to clear the front sight? Any help would be wonderful. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Sweet AR! I have found that a scope for me just doesn't see the front A as it is out of its focal point. Looking basically right through it. Any standard flipup rear sigh should lineup with front sight unless it tells you differently in it's description. You could even go with a carry handle rear.

3. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Thanks Dane. I did some more research and it looks like a flip-up rear sight that matches with the A2 front sight is what I need. For scope rings I think I'll go with the "high" rings (they list them as low, medium, and high).

My intent is to mount the flip-up all the way back, sight it in, then mount the scope rings just in front of it. That way, if needed, I can remove the scope and shoot with iron sights.

4. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Or forget the front and go with some offset flip-ups. :)

5. 45Man

45Man Member

That's what I do. Rear sight needed to be low enough to fit under the scope. Only one would: Magpul MBUS Pro, MAG276. Front sight is Magpul MBUS Pro, MAG275.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    He would need to change a lot of stuff to do that... :rolleyes:

7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Just add a rail to the top of the hand guard is all that's needed. Change nothing.

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

What type of scope are you going to use? That will determine what iron sights you need.

9. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Go look at the AR picture thread. I am on my phone and can't link it.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    GI-style handguard is tapered, usually... Looks taller in his pics...
    Got a pic for the needed rail? I'd love to see that.

11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Yes, they are tapered. OK, here you go! Just one example and price. These may have been around long before the quad rail. Search "rail m4 handguard" Amazon link

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Here is a rail section that I got for my own AR from Midway, while I was in SC. It gives you 4" of rail for lights and/or a bipod. It could probably work for a laser or for a front sight, if mounted on top, but given the fact that removable handguards have ever so little bit of a bit of movement to them, I'm not sure that I would trust them for that role.

Any movement can really throw off long-distance accuracy. Only a firmly mounted, dedicated railed forend would be really trustworthy for sights.

Attached Files:

13. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Doesn't look like any taper on the one you have. Standard handguards?

14. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    No, there's no taper. I haven't taken any measurements, but they look like they are a little bigger in diameter to accommodate the piston--If you buy the retrofit kit, it actually comes with its own handguards. Regular handguards won't work with the Adams Arms system.