Received my first Hi Point last week

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Dimetri1, May 4, 2015.

1. Dimetri1

Dimetri1 Member

Going shooting with my first Hi Point in two days. Hope all goes well.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Good luck! Welcome to the forum.... If you haven't already done so, load your mags now. And unload, reload then several times before you go.... But don't cycle them through the gun, as the firing pin is part of the ejection process.

3. Bull is spot on! Mags are the weak link. Get the mag springs broken in. Might also smooth the underside of the magazine feed lips to remove any burr from the metal "stamping" process. This will allow the rounds to slide out of the mag with less resistance, contributing to more reliable feeding.

And Welcome!

4. Dimetri1

Dimetri1 Member

Tuning

Been loading and unloading the mags a few times each night. I have been reading all the posts on how to tune this gun. Thanks for the advice.

5. Dimetri1

Dimetri1 Member

So I finally was able to go shooting. I had 18-20 failure to feed out of 109 rounds.I think it was mostly the crappy ammo I was shooting because when I loaded a mag with the HP's it fired flawlessly.

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Hope she gets better!..... Try a few other brands of fmj rounds, unless you got cash to shoot HPs all day, then go for it!

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Some or most guns have a brand or type of ammo they don't like. If you can find the perfect ammo for your gun, then by all means shoot it!!!

8. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

what kind of hi point is this? I'm betting the c9, i seem to see most mag issues and failures with the c9's. I personally have never shot one and don't own one. My jcp and 995 were both mostly reliable out of the box. I didn't do any mag work or anything to either of those.

9. Dimetri1

Dimetri1 Member

JHP .45. I only shot some HP's to make sure they worked. I did not want to get into a situation where I had to use it not knowing if the brand of HP's were going to work or not in that gun.

10. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

I always like to get through the first 500rds before i start with the reliability testing, although your numbers of failure are very high.

11. makarovnik

makarovnik Member

Welcome to the club! Hope you .45 works as well as mine. I only use fmj in mine and it's been flawless. I bet you'll like your Hi-Point and will buy more. I also love my .45 carbine.

12. vanguard1

vanguard1 Supporting Member

hope you work it out, I have owned about 12-15 hi points and I never had one problem with them, I guess that is why I am the #1 fan of Hi Points:D

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Nope that goes to Mel. Just ask him he will show you pic's ;-)

14. vanguard1

ok show me the pics mel....lol...i want to see...:D

15. colthrash

colthrash Member

just remember, you asked for it...

16. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    PMC Bronze and Magtech are the cheap brands that my JHP likes. Try some of those, and you should be quite happy. On my first day to the range with mine, I ran 100 rounds of one and 50 rounds of the other with no malfunctions of any kind. It also kept everything pretty tight at 25 yards with some very lazy effort with that ammo.

17. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

The 1st pic will be my abbreviated 9mm collection, the 2nd will be my 40's & 3rd will be my 45 collection all Hi Points. I'm missing a few, maybe 4 or 5?

Attached Files:

18. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

The chrome one in the 45 picture top row is slightly lower than the other two. Need to fix that. :)

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I have never done anything to my 45. Someday maybe I'll polish the feed ramp. It eats everything including the dreaded Winchester White box FMJ. Try the Federal aluminum cased Champions. They seem to have a good thump to them, and they're $14.97 a box for 50. Walmart is the only place that sells it.

20. vanguard1

can i come over and play? :splits: