Red Dot Adjustment

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by TNTRAILERTRASH, Jan 24, 2015.

1. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Got a cheesy RD30 for the carbine. What is a good distance to "dry sight" it at?

I have a laser to stick in the end of the barrel. I can take it outside and point it at the side of my shop after dark. I have a rail light to illuminate the shop so I can see if needed. I know my red/green dot works at night with a light.

I am also thinking about putting the Laserlyte that came with my JHP45 on the rifle.

Thoughts? :)

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Depending on your ammo I BELIEVE, no quoting allowed, your drop rate on trajectory vs line of sight is 0" at 15 yards and 100 yards?

If you sighted it in at 15 yards you would shoot, AT MOST, a couple of inches high at 55-60 yards?

I'm sure someone will be by to call me an idiot shortly, but I swear the sweet spot for .45 ACP is 15 yards.

3. TNTRAILERTRASH

Scratch that idea. Rails are way too wide. :(

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Trim them down. I have done 3 now, for the AFGs I installed
    on my 995, 4095 and 4595... Or buy LongShot rails ;)

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I sight all my red dots at 25 meters.... seems to be a good distance for everything from 9mm, .223/5.56 and .300 BLK SBR.

Keeping in mind of course that a red dot is not designed to shoot MOA, it is designed for shooting MOM.

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    But she's been so good to us.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

OK looked up MOA, and MOM didn't get a hit.

BTW I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn yesterday. I did 36 paces from the shop 30" is my step. So 30yds. I set the green dot on the laser dot. At the 50yds range I didn't get on the paper. I am going to have to check things over. I was free standing and got on the paper with a 3" barreled .22. Iron sights on the 4095 were fine.

8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Minute of angle-MOA, minute of man-MOM.... MOM meaning good enough to hit a body.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Was the laser set right?

Start over. Forget the laser.

Start at 10-15 yards, and get the red dot zeroed. Then go to 25, if you want to shoot that far, I set mine there.

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I could have sworn I said 15 yards already. :p

If we keep making the same suggestions, one of these days you're going to get blamed for something I said.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

I put the laser into the barrel tip and tightened. I was outside in the dark an turned on the sights. I tweeked it until it was on the red laser dot on the back of the shop. Fairly simple operation.

If you read my other post 36 paces. From US Army training my pace is 30" so about 90ft. The targets at the range were 50yds. The pistol side of the range has 15yds as the furthest target. No good results there either.