Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
995ST
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance because I’m sure this topic has been beat to death. I’m brand new on Hi-Point forum. Brand new 995ST carbine owner (since Wednesday this week)

I have old eyes, so I want to add a Red Dot. Visited the range yesterday and shot up 200 plus rounds using the iron sights. Worked pretty well even with my vision. I don’t care about co-witnessing, just no need for that. I want to mount and use the red dot as my primary sight, but I don’t want strip off the factory F / R factory sight. I’d like to be able to use both on occasion. Forget using a 45 degree mount, I want to raise the red dot just high enough to function over the iron sights, while having a riser that is open to be able to sight on the irons as well. Anyone have suggestions on what to use? As I said, I’m hoping to keep factory iron sights on the rifle. I could always get pop up iron sights, but I want to leave the carbine intact.
All suggestions will be appreciated.

JayK

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
Well you could use a see through riser like this one:
Camera accessory Automotive tire Rolling Cylinder Gas

Or you could chop the rear sight body like I did. Which does run afoul of both your keeping the sights intact, and not caring about a co witness. But my setup was lower third and the irons indexed independently of the RDS.
Trigger Wood Gun barrel Tints and shades Office equipment

·
Registered
995ST
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I’m going to try finding a taller open riser that allows for sighting with stock irons.

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
Well I know this is way off the mark, but I actually saw someone use the same exact setup on their 995TS that I just put in my AK.

Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun Font

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Hood Office equipment Office supplies Art Engineering

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
It looks like you will lose two front screws. How many screws left holding the sight to the weaver rail after cutting? Are the rail and sight still stable?
But of course they are. Nothing happened to the rail, as it uses completely different screws to mount to the cover, and the sight body just got a new hole drilled through it and the new hole in the rail got tapped just like the original mounting points...

·
Registered
114 Posts
It is a tight grouping. What is the grouping size, 1" / 5 rounds? At what distance?
3" / 10 rounds, 50 yds, bipod front, bag rear, Blazer Brass 115 gr FMJ, no wind, enough time between shots to be confident of impact point as shown by red dot. It surprised me too. I had not been able to accomplish that grouping with just the iron sights. The red dot really helps me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
3" / 10 rounds, 50 yds, bipod front, bag rear, Blazer Brass 115 gr FMJ, no wind, enough time between shots to be confident of impact point as shown by red dot. It surprised me too. I had not been able to accomplish that grouping with just the iron sights. The red dot really helps me.
That's impressive. I tried 5 rounds with Blazer and got similar results. But when I tried 10 rounds with Winchester last Wednesday, the grouping expended to 5".
Circle Recreation Precision sports Pattern Art
Toy Sports equipment Precision sports Circle Font

Does anyone know the MOA capability of the cheap 9mm factory ammo? I read an extensive test from Brad Miller, and his average 50-round grouping size is about 3.5" for 38 types of ammo at 25 yards. That is like 14 MOAs. But that is from a 5" pistol barrel on a ransom rest, not a 16" carbine. Of course, the more rounds each group has, the greater the grouping size opens.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's impressive. I tried 5 rounds with Blazer and got similar results. But when I tried 10 rounds with Winchester last Wednesday, the grouping expended to 5".
View attachment 73822 View attachment 73823

Does anyone know the MOA capability of the cheap 9mm factory ammo? I read an extensive test from Brad Miller, and his average 50-round grouping size is about 3.5" for 38 types of ammo at 25 yards. That is like 14 MOAs. But that is from a 5" pistol barrel on a ransom rest, not a 16" carbine. Of course, the more rounds each group has, the greater the grouping size opens.
I too have used Winchester several times in several different "launch" mechanisms. I experienced a lot of flyers and quite a few FTFs. I now use BB 115 gr FMJ exclusively for range outings.

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
100 Posts
Winchester ammo is good. That said, their white box ammo, especially the 115 gr FMJ load is pretty bad. Low powered with some big spreads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts