Red Dot sight placement?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by michaeld1953, Jun 17, 2014.

1. I try to position my red dots about 1/3 down the rail starting from the side of the rail closest to the rear of the gun and adjust accordingly. This isn't just for the HP carbine, but for all of scoped rifles.

2. slade601

slade601 Member

If rail space is available I usually like to mount mine farther from me. Don't know why but I've always prefered it.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

i prefer to mount my red dots or reflex sights as far forward as i can. to me it helps get a quicker lock on the target, and has proven more accurate for me.
    your results may vary, you'll have to try it in a few spots to find what works best for you and your shooting style.

4. Asturcon

Asturcon Member

I place my red dot like you can see in the picture. That way I can keep the iron sights. It work for me.

Attached Files:

5. dirtroadrider

dirtroadrider War Eagle Member

Red Dot placement

Here's my choice of placement.

Attached Files:

6. Red dot sight elevated

How did you get the sight elevated so high and able to zero in on target and be able to see straight underneath to use your ghosts.

I could not bolt mine to the picatinny rail without it being to high in the front or if you moved it to the back which we are only talking maybe 1/4" movement, the lense cover in the back would hit the ghosts sight. Help me to understand what I need to do?

7. Asturcon

Asturcon Member

The sight is a Bushnell TRS-25 Hirise. You can use it with or without the riser, the riser is intended for use on ar-15 and similars. I had no problem zeroing it, I guess it is designed accordingly for that riser. My problem using the red dot without riser is that it is almost impossible for me to take aim having the iron sights on the way. Co-witness is impossible to achieve for me. So I went with the raiser. I can't use the iron sights if I have the red dot installed, but the red dot locking sistem is with a bolt easily to release and take the sight off.

8. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

I wanted to add a red dot without obstructing the original sights (OEM) on my Hi-Point carbine which I really like.

Here are 3 different views on how I have mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot using a NcStar 45-Degree Off-Set Rail Mount. I am right handed. It is very comfortable using a red dot in this manner which allows the head to be more upright with both eyes open for faster acquisition of the target. (Note: In the 1st photo, the red dot is turned on to its second highest position (10) to show up better in the photograph; consequently, the dot looks large. I usually use it in one of the lowest positions).

If the red dot fails, the OEM sights can be used by just shifting head position a slight amount, or alternately by easily taking off the NcStar 45-Degree Off-Set Rail Mount with the knob on the right side of the mount.

I only paid $9.00 + 6.99 shipping for the NcStar mount purchased on the Wal-Mart web site. It fits the rail on the Hi-Point carbine nicely and in my opinion is solidly built.

Attached Files:

9. Asturcon

Asturcon Member

Neat! I like it, I will take your idea and try it. Thanks.

10. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

The only thing is, is that the windage and elevation adjustments will also be 45-degrees off. That is easily compensated for by drawing an X with a sharpie on the target face the first time you zero in the red dot.

11. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Your find may actually work well. Please let us know after you try it.

12. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I like that 45 degree angle mount as well. I would like to put my iron sights back on because I am finding it really difficult to zero my BSA red dot. I did have a leapers red dot on both of my 10/22's, but I don't have the Rugers anymore. I had no problem holding zero with the Leapers. The one that came on my 995ts is an Aim Sports 4x red dot and it is hard to keep zero as well. The iron sights are just way more reliable.

13. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

i mounted mine as far as possible forward also so i can use my 3x magnifier

[​IMG]

14. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

15. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

16. Will have to go to the range and dial it in but I can see perfectly through the box (riser) under the red dot I may take a 3/8 endmill and plunge through about .075 in radially down the length of it just because I want a shade more room. But it does exactly what I wanted. A 1" riser would not have worked. This one is 1.1" high per the link I provided. I have a guy in MO, Jeff Forbush who does reasonably priced great work, 4bushweaponsrefinishingsystems.com that will be cerakoting the upper receiver shroud a color called USMC Red. Then I will dial it in after that is done, so without that and the pressure switches installed this is what it looks like now.

Attached Files:

17. mawguy

mawguy Sheep Dog Member

I would love to see the two sight pictures: irons only and red dot.

18. I will have to try to do that one day.