Red Dot vs. Iron sights, which one for distance?

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by clickclick, Apr 6, 2015.

1. I had to replace the firing pin and it's dual spring kit the other day and finally got the Red Dot set perfectly.

The range I shoot at is only 25 yards, which is fine because it's unlikely I could see, much less aim at any distance further. :(

Anyway...I have the red dot mounted off to the right, on 45 degree rail adapter, so if/when the 995TS is canted to the left, the red dot is straight upright.

The red dot is calibrated for 13 yards, and the iron sights, in stock position, is calibrated for 25 yards. With 1-2 seconds between shots, free standing, I can group at about 3" using either sight, at their calibrated distances.

Now, I'm thinking that I may have did this backwards, and maybe the iron sights should be set at the closer distance, and vice versa for the red dot?

Does it matter? Or should I ask, is there a preferred way? :confused:

The reason I now think the iron sights should be on at a closer distance is because if I were to need this carbine at a closer HD setting, it's not like I can remove the dust caps and turn the red dot on...but on the flip-side, aiming for center mass, with either, and at either distance, I'm still only a few inches off either way, so it's technically a wash...probably overthinking it, but curious to hear the opinions of others.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Well, the common set up for having a set of BUIS and a red dot is to have those be on the 45 degree offset. It all depends on your preference and setup. If you don't have a full length rail your sight radius will be way to short on the irons if you offset them.

Whatever you think you will be using for your primary sights should be what you keep vertical on the gun. The back-ups are just that.

3. That was what the guy checking in the weapons at the range said..."I've never seen the red dot offset before"...but when I explained that the iron sights were dead on since Day 1, and that I didn't really want to mess with them and screw them up, he said it made sense...

4. Rachgier

Sounds like a damn good reason to me as well. Maybe you get an elevated see through rail adapter and mount the rds above the irons so everything stays vertical?

5. I haven't had any luck finding that style adapter. These 995 sights seem to be pretty high. :blush:

6. Of course I just looked on Ebay and see them all over the place...lol

7. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

I say what ever works for you,, and what your comfortable with..
    I have my dot sight mounted on top,, and use it as a primary sight,,and for quick target aquisition..
    And I have flip up irons mounted at 45* and use them for back up,, and longer shots

8. Rachgier

Isn't that how it always works?

9. Absolutely. I found a few different length 1" rise see through rails. I just have to double check the length of the stock rail in front of the stock rear sight.

10. Rachgier

I was going to help and measure my rail, but I have a 4095 and I chopped my front sight when I co-witnessed my RDS.

11. I remember...That's the setup I was going to mimic on my original 995. ;)

12. Rachgier

The sad part is I was standing there with my carbine in hand getting ready to measure when it dawned on me.

13. It's the thought that counts.:D

14. talon

talon the banned wagon

Raising the red dot vertically over the irons will require you to a) rezero it and b) change your cheek weld to use it. If its working for you the way you have it, leave it alone. If its not broken, it doesn't need fixing.

15. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I would put the red dot back on top of the rail. IMHO, the whole idea of using an optic is to have it as the primary sight, and you need to be able to use it with either your left or right-handed stance.

Rezeroing it shouldn't be too difficult. Most times, about 20-30 rounds are the most you will need, and it may take fewer since it's already been sighted in once.

16. Rachgier

The same can be said for having to rotate the weapon 45 degrees to use the offset sight.....

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

Yes, except he already is accustomed to his set up,and it works for him. Changing it won't make anything easier it will just change it for the sake of changing.

18. Rachgier

True, but sometimes trying another setup will give you what works best for you. I tried straight irons, rds only, co-witness, scoped, and finally settled back on straight irons. I've never really shot with a 45 deg offset something on it so anything but vertically integrated sights seems foreign to me anyways.