Red dot

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by jadavis1934, Jul 12, 2014.

1. jadavis1934

jadavis1934 Member

:confused:How do I remove the rear sight on a 995TS to install a red dot

2. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

You don't have to. A red dot actually works better mounted further forward. You can just co-witness the original sights with it.

3. jadavis1934

jadavis1934 Member

There is not enough space!!

More help!
    Thanks

4. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    Did you try to remove the three screws that hold the sight on the rail?

There is also the elevation adjustment screw that needs to be removed.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  5. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1405286806.291422.jpg mine fits. Just barely! Had to fool with it for a while to get the perfect spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

6. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

Mines a 42mm and mounted forward like kevins, with covers in place. I prefer it mounted forward as opposed to towards the rear. For me, it allows faster target acquisition and easier on the eyes.

7. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    The OP posted twice and hasn't been back in 10 days..... 'spose he removed the screws....

8. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

What brand of sight is that ?

9. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Simmons I think. I'll look when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

10. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

I like the look of it
    Thanks
    Frank

11. 4595tsguy

4595tsguy Member

I chose to remove my sights because I am left eye dominant but right handed. I shoot best with a red dot because of this. I could have compensated by moving my iron sights to match where I hit using my right eye, but I'm extremely partial to red dots in general and the iron sights impede your sight picture through a red dot. I will be ordering some basic 45° offset flip ups in the near future. This is what it looks like without irons using a bushnell trs-25.

Attached Files:

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I just put on the off set sights but not the flip up type love them for close shoots and scope for farther out

13. 4595tsguy

4595tsguy Member

Is there any specific reason you chose standard offsets over flip ups?

14. moona11

No reason other then didn't think about flip ups and I like it ready to go without adding steps during a high stress time.

15. 850hipoint

850hipoint Member

I bought some 45* flip up sights. They are junk. To much slop in the axis. Didn't even try to sight them in...:mad:

16. menhir

menhir Member

I'm wondering why the stock rear sight assembly is so long, taking up 5-1/4" of the appx. 8" rail, when the business part the sight is only a couple of inches in length.

I'm curious because I recently bought a Leapers Red/Green Dot and there's was barely enough room to mount it, and I had to remove the flip-up covers to get it to fit at all. I'd like to keep the iron sights, so removing them completely wouldn't be my first option.

Any explanations or ideas?

17. 4595tsguy

4595tsguy Member

I would suggest 45° offset sights. I have read from numerous users on here that there is a good pair that can be had on Amazon for $20. If you don't like that option, you could go with a magpul back up sight for about $40. They only take up about 2.5" of rail. I would not suggest leaving your red dot on there with no covers.

18. 4595tsguy

4595tsguy Member

I had considered buying 45° rail attachments and using magpul flip ups.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No clue, except that they do really, REALLY protect the sights from abuse.:p
    They are a left over from the old gun, now with the rail, you'd think they could develop a smaller unit that was protected, but...not yet.

20. moona11

Just got a green laser off Amazon a NCSTAR don't know if it should go on AR or 4595. Mall ninjas are out to night.