Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had 1 in my life. I liked it for what it did and quick targeting.

HOWEVER the part I didnt like is it had 12 settings off and 1-11 getting brighter the higher the number. Now this is fine and dandy but you have to turn it on and off all day long as you shoot and I often forgot to turn the damn thing off.

So I was wondering if anyone has seen one or modified one to use a pressure switch like they do for flashlights and lazer sites. This way you could set it to the brightness you want or need but it only comes on when you need it and automatically goes off when your done.

I did a web search but didnt find anything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Choosing the right reflex sight can go a long way to alleviating that problem. For example:

I have one of these. Don't get confused by the different branding you see on these sights, the ones that cost $100 dollars are the same thing as the ones you can find for $20, they just have different logos screened on the housing. They use a red LED as a light source, and run on a little watch battery. 4 reticules, with 7 levels of brightness, and the lowest setting being perfectly visible in broad daylight.

Here's the relevant part - the other day, I picked up my Hi Point to feel her up, and I noticed that the sight was on. I had put the rubber cover over the window, but forgotten to turn the thing off last time I messed with it. It had been left on at LEAST two days straight, and the thing was still shining plenty bright. I'm usually pretty careful about that sort of thing, but it really drove home the fact that LEDs, red ones especially, use barely any energy. Pick a decent sight and this should be a non-issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How rugged is that type of site? Im not rough on my guns, but those things just have a fragile look to them. the carbine and my SKS are both "truck guns" so something fragle isnt going to do.

The only one I have owned was a truglo 42mm I had it on my ruger 10/22. It was nice to shoot with, but I hated turning it on and off every time I wanted to shoot something. I dont know how long the battery would last but it seamed like every time I went to go shooting I had to get new batteries. I just think a pressure switch would suit me better.

Mine had a 8MOA dot also and it was ok for 80% of the shooting I did but sometimes it wasnt very good for longer shots.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's actually pretty rugged. For the prices you can find, I don't think you can beat it. The simple dot setting I think is 4moa or better. It's no bigger than the tip of the front sight post, I know that much - I have it set up to cowitness with iron sights. The only thing I would worry about in use would be getting debris in the little channel where the light is projected to the reflector, or having something knock the reflector out, the latter of which would be a concern with any reflex sight.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Choosing the right reflex sight can go a long way to alleviating that problem. For example:

I have one of these. Don't get confused by the different branding you see on these sights, the ones that cost $100 dollars are the same thing as the ones you can find for $20, they just have different logos screened on the housing. They use a red LED as a light source, and run on a little watch battery. 4 reticules, with 7 levels of brightness, and the lowest setting being perfectly visible in broad daylight.

Here's the relevant part - the other day, I picked up my Hi Point to feel her up, and I noticed that the sight was on. I had put the rubber cover over the window, but forgotten to turn the thing off last time I messed with it. It had been left on at LEAST two days straight, and the thing was still shining plenty bright. I'm usually pretty careful about that sort of thing, but it really drove home the fact that LEDs, red ones especially, use barely any energy. Pick a decent sight and this should be a non-issue.
What type of sight is that and where can I get it? I want one!!!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts

What type of sight is that and where can I get it? I want one!!!!!
Sometimes i wonder if you guys are just lazy or what. There are multiple posts about these sights or you could do a search with your search engine of choice for a ''multi reticle panoramic sight" and find something along these lines. Mine is a BSA that looks exactly like this one, except mine says BSA on the front. It ran my about 50 bucks, I think, on the WalMart website.
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,8457.msg102943.html#msg102943

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got mine from Ultimate Arms on EBAY. I think I paid 30 dollars for it. The quality surpassed what I expected by a long way. COnsidering getting another one, and a flip-to-side magnifier for my Saiga .308 if it will hold up to the recoil. I don't see why it wouldn't, the Saiga is a pussycat. I think that would be a more practical setup for the rifle than a big scope.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ye i got one of those little bad boys for the 4095 and there just plain sexy i love it. and i havent "yet" left it on but im real careful not to because the batteries them self can be like 15$ so i heard.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
ye i got one of those little bad boys for the 4095 and there just plain sexy i love it. and i havent "yet" left it on but im real careful not to because the batteries them self can be like 15$ so i heard.
$15 for batteries :cantlook: I think I better just practice shooting and forget the laser!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
WHAAAAAAT! What friggin IDIOT told you that? Oh my good lord! It's a lithium watch battery, CR2032 designation, look it up. :cantlook: You can get them under a buck!
:angel: Let the record show that SHOOT2KILL said he heard that they could be like $15. He didn't swear by it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah I meant where did HE hear that? That's insane! I mean I don't doubt someone out there has gotten fleeced for a battery or two, but you can walk into a grocery store and pick these things up for a halfway decent price. Not as cheap as if you shopped around, but nowhere near $15.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just purchased a BSA red-dot from walmart, 30bux, and spent the whole day yesterday dialing it in and I must say it is by far the best upgrade ive done so far. mostly because im using my 995 for more tactical instead of range. After about 100 rounds, I had grouping in double burst while walking on 5 different targets. My buddy who just picked up a 995 at a gun show on Sat is in love with his and is gunna get a red dot asap after seeing it in action at the range yesterday......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.