Redball Sports High Capacity Magazine for the 995 and 995TS

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by djwalley, Jan 17, 2016.

1. djwalley

djwalley Member

Recently, I had the privilege to meet with the General Sales Manager and Lead Product Engineer of Redball™ Sports at my local gun range. We were there to test their new 20 round high capacity magazine for the Hi Point 995 and 995TS carbine.
    In short – it was a great time, a lot of fun, and it worked beautifully!
    Last year Redball™ Sports announced that they were in the process of developing a 20 round high capacity magazine for the 9MM 995 and 995TS carbine. The news generated a great deal of interest on the Hi-Point Forums. At the same time there was a great deal of skepticism amongst the community that has been burned by the hope and promise of other “high capacity” magazines that ended up causing Hi-Point to declare that using said magazine would void their firearm warranty.
    Redball™ had hoped to be ready to announce the new magazine to the market last year, but in an effort to release a product that works flawlessly and a product that does not damage the firearm, they were very deliberate with their design and testing.
    To this point they have fired over 4000 rounds in their testing of many proto-types and production magazines and finally have a production version ready for the market.
    A couple of weeks ago we met at my local gun club and we had a chance to test 3 production magazines that were taken at random out of the first production run.
    All of the carbines had the “F” series magazines and all had the “slide lock” on last round feature. We fired about 180 rounds of 9MM ammunition from different vendors. Some hardball and some hollow point. Bullet weights of 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr were tested. With the exception of 1 round of Winchester White Box 115gr that had a FTE all rounds were fed and ejected flawlessly. Due to lack of time in my schedule we had to call off my time with the team from Redball and get back to the office. However, later that weekend I was able to do additional testing with 200 rounds of hand loaded 115gr and 124gr standard and +P loads. Also I fired 50 rounds of 124 gr Federal HST +P JHP without any failures to feed or to eject.
    The magazine is fabricated with case hardened steel body with black oxide plating and the base, locking plate, and follower are made from molded ABS plastics. The spring is specifically manufactured for them and is made of high-tension heat treated hard steel. In the hand, the magazine feels solid, and is obviously well made.
    Redball™ Sports has been in contact with Hi-Point Firearms who are planning to do their own testing and evaluation of the magazines.
    The magazine is 100% US made in their production facility in Camas, Washington. The suggested MSRP is 24.99. I know, it’s crazy, a well-made American product at a reasonable price what is next???
    Redball™ will release the magazine in the next few weeks. They will make the announcement that the magazine is ready for market on the appropriate forums, social media outlets, and their website.
    I will be getting in line for mine – I strongly suggest you get in line for yours!
    www.redballsports.net
    https://www.facebook.com/redballsports/

Attached Files:

buckeye49 likes this.
  2. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Sounds promising, but not enough for me to get in line for one. After it has been on the market for 6 months or so, perhaps. But I don't do field tests of a new product. It will have to prove itself reliable before I buy one.

3. Thanks for the update. I'm going to get one.

I could use a couple of 995 mags and kept an eye out of these at the gunshow this weekend.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    It looks ridiculous.

5. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I have to agree with you! Looks rather awkward also.

6. i think it looks crazy. But i only have one 995ts magazine that I share with my CF.380. I will probably buy two of these in a month or so. and a couple more around fathersday etc. I need more mags.

7. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    Ok, if you know these guys, show them the surefire 60 and 100 rnd. mags. Surely they can make something like that, that doesn't stick sooo far below the grip.
    Or if it does it should be a 30 rounder.

8. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I'm just dumbfounded why no one takes the path of using double stacked mags instead of just making them longer... The grip on the 995 is huge, heck my M&P9 17rnd mag almost fits in there like it is, shave off about .050" on each of the inside grip area and go with a flush mounted double stack mag...

I think a company that would custom modify factory HP stocks to fit a certain double stack mag, then they could make a sleeve to go over the factory HP mags to allow them to be used also...

They could sell stocks, mags, and mag sleeves... then also offer a stock swap program option...

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Because it would be really expensive. And expensive is not the standard hi point buyer.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Kirk is partially right, expensive because a Double Stack will not fit the
    narrow receiver without machining and probable component relocation.
    Either that, or a single stack transition mag to fit the narrow HP action.
    I did an extensive write up on this, quite a while ago.

12. lschattler44

lschattler44 Member

Why can't HP (or somebody) make an extended, 15 or 20 round, magazine based on their current 10 rounder? Seems like a no-brainer. Am I missing something? If it's the locking mechanism, I'd think this could be engineered onto the new mag without too much difficulty.

13. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Add a camouflage or a carbon fiber paint scheme to the lower half of the magazine. It might look better.

14. lschattler44

lschattler44 Member

When I saw this thread after not being on the site for a few weeks, I immediately had movement, and started to sprout wood. Then when I saw the picture of this ridiculous looking mag, I went soft in a heartbeat. That hasn't happened since the last time I saw a picture of Miley Cyrus. WTH?

15. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Or paint it red and tell the ladies they excite your pet rifle.

16. I don't want to sound like a dick. But its more complicated then you realize.

Many have tried on this very forum over the years and I can only remember one working. It was an home made drum mag, that he welded the hipoint mag on top off.

Hi point doesn't bother because they have TONS of orders already, literally they are in the top 10 gun makers every year. and do not have a very big team. on top of that many speculate that they are not willing to add the tooling for something that may be banned every couple years. (the money isn't worth the risk of tooling cost)

17. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

LOL :rofl:

18. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Maybe a light-grey or light-beige camouflage color to give contrast from the black hand grip.

19. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Mr. Red Ball commented that he doesn't find the magazine unusual looking at all. :D ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  20. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Maybe he should paint his nose red or at least a camouflage color.:D