Redhawk Frustration

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Think1st, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I am trying to decide if I want to get my .44 Magnum as either a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk. I could easily go for either, but I like the looks of the Redhawk better. The problem is with regards to the front sight. I recently installed a Hi-Viz fiber optic sight on my GP100 because it makes life a heck of a lot easier when shooting clay pigeons on the berm at 25 yards, and I want to do the same thing for the .44 whenever I get it.

The GP100 was very easy to do a front sight change on because all you have to do is push in on a recessed plunger that's above the muzzle and lift out the sight, and then drop in the new one while the plunger is pressed. The Redhawk's front sight used to be that way, too, but Ruger, for some stupid and unfathomable reason, decided to get rid of that setup and go with a plain old dovetailed setup on the front sight for the 7.5" barrel model, which is the barrel length I want.

When I search for fiber optic sights for the Redhawk, they are all made for the version that Ruger no longer makes. However, there are plenty of fiber optic sights for the Super Redhawk.

First of all, why the heck would Ruger do that to the Redhawk, and second of all, where the heck are the fiber optic sights for the Redhawk? @greg_r , you might know something about this. Does anyone else know about it, too?

I do like the Redhawk's looks a bit better than the Super Redhawk's, but then again, the Super Redhawk's internals are the same as those for the GP100, and I've torn that all the way down before, so I know how nice it is designed.

2. I'd call Ruger customer service and see if they can accommodate you. Won't cost you anything more than a few minutes of your time.

Rerun, Think1st and lklawson like this.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I’ve just read a long review on both and even though both will no doubt last a lifetime it leaned towards the Super Redhawk.
    Considering it also has the sight you want.....

270jrwt and Think1st like this.
  4. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Isn't there more differences than what was mentioned? Could always look for an older model too!

5. Think1st

Florida
    Aaaaand that has pretty much been what has started to dominate my reasoning. But the Redhawk looks so cool!

6. Think1st

Florida
    Yep. The thought has crossed my mind.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I’d get the Redhawk. They say the trigger is better out of the box, though you can’t do as much work with them, they don’t need much. I also like the looks better, and dovetail sights aren’t a real problem, are they? I think Marbles makes them.

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    There's only one that matters.

[​IMG]

harleyboy65 likes this.
  9. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
  10. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    you can buy used blackhawk for about $400 almost every day of the week, but I am not a fan of single action revolvers

11. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    upload_2019-6-10_14-45-23.jpeg I know what I would vote for.

Bertus and Think1st like this.
  12. Think1st

Florida
    The Model 29 looks nice and is supposed to have a slightly nicer trigger, but it is not nearly as strong as the Ruger alternatives. I have really come to enjoy shooting my GP100 and the no-sideplate design. I want that in my new revolver, too.

And can you imagine Dirty Harry's speech to the bad guy if he'd been holding one of those Ruger beasts? It would have been awesome.

I won't be getting any SA revolvers, though. I like to run the double action triggers a lot more.

13. Think1st

Florida
    Well, I did just now see something on Marbles' site showing straight dovetail sights, and they just might do the trick. I would have to call and talk to a service rep to see about it.

And yes, that Redhawk is better looking. And if the trigger is better out of the box, that makes it an even better prospect. The GP100 is great out of the box, too, sharing the same trigger group as the Super Redhawk does, and something that has an even nicer trigger would be amazing.

14. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    I think you will find the Smith it is every bit as strong as a Ruger, with a better trigger, and its a classic Dirty Harry gun! I don't mean to dis on the Redhawk but its just not the same in my book and its only another $100 or so probably

15. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I always heard the ruger holds up better over the smith in the 44mag. Not sure how accurate the info was.

16. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Maybe you can rent or borrow a few different ones to try?

17. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    DC12A439-7AB3-4C82-84AB-526156C361ED.jpeg Redhawk in Alabama for $399 !!

Think1st likes this.
  18. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    I have shot a few of the older Smiths model 29 and 629 and those guns held up well after 30 or 40 years. Not many people with 44 mag revolvers shoot them that much anyways, because of the cost and it is really not that enjoyable unless you are a recoil junky:) haha

19. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    what ever you end up getting please do not put that gay ass sight on it! haha