Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some before pics

Broke it down, that was harder than I thought it would be, then I covered the internals and blasted it with some fine grit metal media with a detail sandblaster

Then I cold blued it with some bluing compound my gunsmith friend gave me (I do not know the brand), it came out with a very even almost parkerized look, I am very pleased with the way it came out, I changed a couple of things from this pic like polishing the end of the slide retainer pin, the chamber, the feed ramp and the rear piece in the second pic (firing pin retainer?), I hand carved the oak grips prior to this project.

·
Banned
4,876 Posts
Pretty cool...in the pics it almost looks like bare metal even after it's assembled, bet it looks good in person. Nice job.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are some better pics

I also decided to do the bolt carrier on one of my Bubba'd SKS's, I'm leaving that with the satin/brushed look.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it was the black background in the first pics.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It shot well before I cleaned it up, not sure how it shot well after opening it up :cantlook:, it was nasty inside. It's a fun little gun.

·
Registered
222 Posts
panoz that's a beautiful job. I was always told that bluing never turns out right. Obviously it does. I like that very much.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the key to cold blueing is the preparation of the surface. This was blasted as stated then went over with alcohol, then applied several coats of the cold blue. If you just try to touch up spots without at least cleaning away oils with alcohol your results would be poor.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Interesting pistol!!!! Very nice work!
The SKS bolt is equally as sharp looking! Well done!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts