Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's the story. I have a little Savage .22 rifle that I am using as my play gun. I mostly use it for plinking and taking care of the occasional pesky squirrel. Well, due to some surface rust, I ended up playing around with painting it. The first two jobs didn't turn out well, since I was experimenting with camo patterns, and eventually just went with a basic Krylon black. Welp, went to scrub the barrel the other day, and had overspray. Paint started bubbling, so I knew a repaint was in the works. So, I decided to do a minor mod, and remove the iron sights. (some of you may remember an earlier post about the difficulty I had removing them.)

Here's a few pics of the sanded barrel with the sights removed.

So, what I did was use JB weld to fill in the grooves. To make cleanup easier, and to keep the weld from flowing out due to gravity, I taped off the areas with masking tape before applying the JB. I let it sit for 5 hours, then took a small serrated knife to trim down and make sanding easier. I then went back over it with 100, 150, and 220 grit sandpaper to prepare for painting

Then, on the advice of a knowledgeable friend, I picked up a can of Rustoleum Engine Enamel. It is grease and oil resistant, and heat resistant to 500 degrees. I applied two coats, and let dry overnight.

I then let it cure for the 7 days recommended on the can, and reassembled. Here is the finished item.

I am happy with how it turned out.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Great job! Very thorough explanation too. Looks good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts