Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Reloaders, question about 45acp/45colt bullets

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  PrimalSeal 
#1 ·
First of all, the background.

My local gun shop has a case of these bullets. They are all lubed and ready to go.

However they are only 185 grain.

There is probably 10 thousand of them in this case. It weighs easily about 60-90 pounds, maybe more. Its about 15 inches wide by 12 inches deep by about 5-6 inches tall.

Unbelievably heavy.

He wants 149 for the whole giant case of them.

Seems to be a decent deal for them but I want to know if they can be either used in 45colt (for my Ruger Blackhawk and Vaquero) or 45ACP (semi auto pistols like an XD45 or a 1911 clone)?

My book does show loading for 185 grain semi wad cutters for 45colt but will they make decent loads for cowboy shooting or plinking loads at my outdoor range?

And will they feed reliably in a 45acp pistol?

See less See more
#4 ·
I think he's talking about bullets, not brass. Sounds like a good deal bobotech.

#5 ·
You can use those bullets in either the .45 Colt or .45 ACP rounds.

Since WW2, all .45 Colt caliber firearm barrels are bored to .451 inch, same as the .45 ACP, instead of the original .455 inch diameter of the original guns.

Just thought you might like to know. :D

#6 ·
Well I got confused about the amount of bullets.

There isn't 10,000 like I was thinking.

Its a big box that weighs about 100 pounds.

So taking that there is 7000 grains in a pound, that means thatt here are 700,000 grains worth of bullets.

That works out to close to 4000 bullets, not 10,000 like I was thinking.

I was estimating in my head thinking that each of my rainier bullet boxes was holding 1k in bullets, whoops, tahts 500 folks!

LOL

anyways, so its close to 4000 bullets for 149. 185 grain smc.

Still wondering if they are worth it or not.

#12 ·
These aren't jacketed/plated bullets, they are all lead semiwadcutters, not round nose.

They are also 200 grain, not 180 like I thought.

I'm not even sure if the shop still has them, I eed to check.

#13 ·
If you do get them, please let us know how they perform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.