Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reloading for decades and I'll be honest, .25 ACP is kind of a pain in the butt. I rarely load handgun ammo because I was using a PACT and a single stage, both of which I picked out on the basis of wanting to load more precise ammo for my various rifles. Last year, with ammo prices spiking and .25 ACP off the shelves for months (still haven't seen any restocked locally), I decided to dive into .25 ACP and just see what I could do to keep my Ravens fed. The load I kind of bumbled into is 1.1 grains of Titegroup under a Rim Rock 55 grain cast bullet. Un-scientifically, it doesn't give any more perceived recoil than factory loaded 50 grain FMJ and remains accurate enough for my buddy and I to match up a couple Ravens on a dueling tree. With my own used brass I end up around $0.13/round, with new PPU brass it's around $0.35/round... which I consider very reasonable in the current market.

1.1 grains of a slippery little powder like Titegroup won't meter out of my PACT with any reliability and the scale tries to tare out the powder weight as it's being dispensed because it's so low. Massive pain in the rear. So I'm using a balance beam and hand trickling the powder into the pan, this is probably less precise, but it's worked well so far. I guess this is more a rambling post, but I was wondering if anyone else has experience with loading/reloading .25 ACP and what their thoughts are as far as loads go.

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
In your use-case, a beam scale is probably more precise.

I dig beam scales (and electronic scales, and volumetric powder dispensers ;) ).

There are folks here with lots more experience hand loading, but my experience is that Titegroup is a fiddly and unforgiving powder ("exploding dust") and I won't use it any longer if I have other powders available. I can't imagine the frustration of hand loading .25ACP. :eek:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: histed and bumthum

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In your use-case, a beam scale is probably more precise.

I dig beam scales (and electronic scales, and volumetric powder dispensers ;) ).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I have an older Lee volumetric dispenser... it doesn't adjust down far enough for only 1.1 grains of Titegroup. I know they've had over 100 years to refine their technique, but I really wonder how large scale manufacturers make millions of .25 ACP round safely. It's a constant battle to avoid double charges... the powder loads are so small compared to case capacity.

I'm drifting slowly into trying black powder in the .25 ACP, just for giggles.

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
I'm drifting slowly into trying black powder in the .25 ACP, just for giggles.
Would BP have enough energy density to run in that small a volume? I know some folks have giggled around with BP in 9mm but less than stellar results.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would BP have enough energy density to run in that small a volume? I know some folks have giggled around with BP in 9mm but less than stellar results.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I honestly don't know. I'm pretty much 100% that I won't exceed the max pressure for the cartridge, or the guns, but I might be concerned about the different pressure curve though. Seems that .45 ACP is the more successful variation of BP in an auto cartridge. I've seen Glocks run on BP, but it seems like blowbacks like Hipoints are more normal for such an abnormal experiment.

There is so much excess capacity in a .25 ACP casing, I suspect that it has some possibility of working... I might look into making my own recoil spring and testing the whole thing out in an already beat up firearm.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Personally I would not trust any reasonably priced electronic measure to weigh the powder charge for a 25 acp. Until you get up into several hundred dollars worth of scale, electronic ones just do not have the consistency. I would only use a beam scale.

As to reloading the 25 acp? Tried it, hated it, never want to do it again. It’s a royal pain. Hated it so much that I gave the dies and the pistol to my brother. He learned to hate it too!

I got the idea during the previous 22 LR drought that I would build a 25 acp rifle for squirrels. Nixed that idea after I started reloading the cartridge . Royal PITA.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
78 Posts
How bad's he hate it, I might be willing to pay shipping and a transfer fee :)

I never hated reloading the 25 Auto any more than 9x19, swaging 25 bullets was another story. I'm with Greg R, but would go so far as to say I don't trust electronic scales.

I had better success with a dipper I made from a 25 case. Pur the powder in an empty case (with spent primer seated), weigh powder and dump, mark with a sharpie where the powder sits and file the case down to that point. Hammer a piece of wire (like a coat hanger) flat and bend around the case, solder in place and you have a custom dipper.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Yeah, @OVERKILL beat me to it. Always wanted a .25 - just because I don't have one.

Reactions: bumthum

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, @OVERKILL beat me to it. Always wanted a .25 - just because I don't have one.
Well, I have quite a few now... thanks to a Raven addiction. I will say that loading .25 ACP has really changed it back into a hobby for me. I throw something like Bob's Burgers, or even Forgotten Weapons, on in the back ground and settle down for a couple hours of loading tiny cases. It IS a pain, but it's a fun pain.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
How bad's he hate it, I might be willing to pay shipping and a transfer fee :)

I never hated reloading the 25 Auto any more than 9x19, swaging 25 bullets was another story. I'm with Greg R, but would go so far as to say I don't trust electronic scales.

I had better success with a dipper I made from a 25 case. Pur the powder in an empty case (with spent primer seated), weigh powder and dump, mark with a sharpie where the powder sits and file the case down to that point. Hammer a piece of wire (like a coat hanger) flat and bend around the case, solder in place and you have a custom dipper.
Yep, this is how I do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts