Reloading 9mm - Brass Issues

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Jarhead1775, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Hey guys, I have been loading a lot of 9mm and I have been running into issues with the following Brands of brass:
    1. S&B
    2. IMI
    3. Geco
    4. Military LC

They do not like to accept primers all the time. So I been sorting them out and only using the stuff that works: Win, Fed, CBC, PMP, Hornady, Speer, CCI, Etc.

2. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop Guest

Do they by chance have a crimped in primer - and are you removing the crimp?

3. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

i have had issues with geco and S&B with very tight primer pockets. the stuff i had wasnt crimped except for the LC. That i had to take the crimp off and it worked fine. The rest of it liked remington primers better than others (slightly smaller?) otherwise you had to seat them pretty hard. If you decide not to mess with them ill take em off your hands. I have a tool made for "persuading" tight primer pockets.

SW

4. I had a problen with some Remington primers being oversized and have switched to Winchester myself.

5. Ari

Ari Guest

I use my Lee Chamfering tool on the primer pocket and it then works

[​IMG]

6. I find S&B reloads ok for a time or two but wears out faster than other brands of brass. Military brass works fine provided you remove the primer crimp ring during case prep. No exp with the other two brands.

7. Jokey

Jokey Guest

crimped primer pockets.

I take a countersink tool and put it in my lathe chuck and run it at low speed while I touch the s&b primer pockets to it. You could use an electric drill or drill press to the same effect. Hand tool also works.

I was reloading 40s and found some with a too small of primer hole in them to use the standard tool. Since I am cheap I drilled out the hole to 2 mm to allow the standard reloading decapper to work.

8. I have had the extremely tight pockets on the S&B brass as well.

I would imagine that military LC are crimped and need to be swaged or chamfered.

9. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Well thanks for the info guys. What I will do is continue to seperate the brass and when I have a good amount will give it to one of you. My range officer lets me take as much 9mm and 38 special as I want from the buckets.. He scraps it. I just have to sort thru it. Wish it was the same with 45 acp, and 357 magnum he keeps this stuff (44mag, .40 cal, 10mm). I also only reload my 223 and 308 with Federal, Remington and Winchester brass. All other brass is seperated and I will save that for you guys as well. Some days I hit the goldmine on the range others I walk away with just my brass. A cup of coffee and couple of donuts goes along way, if you get my drift.

10. Jarhead,

I'd be more than happy to take a Flat-Rate box of 9mm and 38 special brass off your hands if you're so inclined. PM me when you get a box full.

wizard93

11. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

No problem wizard. I will let you know. When I have a box full.

12. Jarhead,

Same Flat Rate deal here on .380acp and .44 Special/Mag if you can get it.

13. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Rimfirehunter if I only knew. I gave away 3lbs .44mag and .44 spec in November. I will save that for you.

14. Jarhead,

I just received an RCBS primer pocket swager. If you have any brass with crimped primer pockets you don't want, just send them my way. ;)

wizard93

15. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Wizard I will start collecting for you. Do I have to sort the 38 and the 9 or can you handle that?

16. Don't worry about sorting. A little while back someone sent me a flat-rate box of 9mm brass. After sorting the brass--twice--I kept finding 380 ACP cases hiding in the mix. That 380 brass is VERY tricky. After that, I'm very picky when it comes to sorting and prefer to do it myself, if you know what I mean.

BTW, I'm thinking about buying a Nagant revolver and a 32 ACP conversion cylinder for it, so if you come across some 32 ACP brass, just throw it in the box as well. :)

If there's anything you need, just let me know and I'll see if I have it.

wizard93

17. F751

F751 Member

Iowa
    Jarhead,
    I'm new here but I load for .223 and could use LC brass if you get any you can't use. Brass of any kind is hard to by at my range.
    thanks, F751

18. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

F751 - I will save all my military .223 brass for you and will collect some at the range this stuff is like 22lr. I save the Fed, Rem & Win for myself. Everything else will go to you.

Wizard I have approx 30 rounds of .32 for you.

Primal I am saving the 30-30 for you.

Any other requests?