Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking... I reload for my AR-15, and since it's all I have, it's my bad guy gun. Any advice on what bullets I ought to put in it for maximum stopping power?

Recently, I saw a video of what a Barnes Varmint Grenade did to a coyote, and it pretty much vaporized him. Since I'm not too worried about overkill for someone who breaks into my house, I was thinking that a varmint grenade might not be a bad idea. Plus, it has the added benefit of preventing overpenetration, since they pretty much fragment into a bloody mess as soon as they touch something.

Thoughts?

(Wasn't sure whether to put this under reloading or survival, so feel free to redirect me if I erred)

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
From a legal standpoint you do not want to use reloads for home defense. If you ever have to use the weapon and ammo for that purpose you will end up in court and the opposition legal team will make you out to be a "nut" and you'll have a much harder time defending yourself and it will be much more expensive. Best option is to use a good and available factory ammo.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't quite understand that... CAn't I just make the "I'm poor, and reloads are cheaper" argument? Heck, that's why I originally got into reloading!

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
The problem with reloading for HD/SD is that after even a 'justifiable' shooting, the investigators take the weapon and a sample of ammunition and fire them. Reason being, they can determine proximity to the target through powder burns and other fun stuff. Things that you might need to corroborate your story. Now, if you've made your own rounds you can kiss that defense good-bye.

"Your honor, how can we believe this gun nut's story? He literally manufactured the evidence!!!"

I tell my CCW students: use your reloads at the range to get good enough that you don't waste many of the expensive off-the-shelf HD rounds when the time comes.

-'bridge

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
This is the sad truth...With the laws todays, The law will always try to give you the crap end of the stick all the time. Just try to be prepared for it. Just my 2 cents. :yes:

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huh... I never thought of forensic evidence...

That said, what kind of HD round should I be getting for my AR? Varmint grenades? Something different? I'll just buy some off the shelf, maybe pick up a spare mag, and keep it safely away from my voracious shooting habits.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For HD rounds, I would buy the ones that cost the most. ;)

BTW, there are some ammo called DRT(Dead Right There). You might check those.
Not to sound contentious, but wouldn't a bullet called "Dead Right There" bias the jury into thinking I'm a psychopath, too?

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Yeah, but the chicks on the DRT box are soooo hot! :D

About the best I've seen off-the-shelf are the Hornady TAPs. .223 is finickier than most when it comes to twist rate vs. bullet weight, but you already knew that.

I'd say the varmint grenade would do well in warm weather. Maybe move up to TAP when coats come out.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a good factory defensive load and reload something with nearly identical ballistics to practice.

Yes, it's an extreme amount of CYA and PITA but in this overly litigious society what choice do we have?

At the very, very, very least... if you absolutely MUST use reloads for HD/SD, put specific load data somewhere safe along with a handful of rounds from whatever batch filled up your bedside AR mag. That way they may be able to use your data should the need arise.

My two pence

-'b

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Nay, the legall name is DRT. If a lawyer told the jury Dead Right There....lets just say, they can't said that. This ammo was made for the Elite Military and Law Enforcement Agencies. That lawyer would be calling them Psychopaths too. Never happen. :no:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
DRT is blended-metal hype. It's frange. Pure, plain, and over-marketed.

-'b
What he said... Kinda like Ex stream shock... overrated and over priced!

·
Registered
128 Posts
From a legal standpoint you do not want to use reloads for home defense. If you ever have to use the weapon and ammo for that purpose you will end up in court and the opposition legal team will make you out to be a "nut" and you'll have a much harder time defending yourself and it will be much more expensive.
ummm... i think it's a pretty safe assumption that the opposition legal team will try to portray him as a "gun nut" no matter what ammo he uses because... *drumroll* ...IT'S A FRICKIN' AR15!

if you wanna look like a responsible citizen for the jury, use a mossberg

then again, they'll probably call you a "gun nut" anyway simply because you own an AR15...

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Yep, they'll call you everything but some things are harder to defend against than others

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From a legal standpoint you do not want to use reloads for home defense. If you ever have to use the weapon and ammo for that purpose you will end up in court and the opposition legal team will make you out to be a "nut" and you'll have a much harder time defending yourself and it will be much more expensive.
ummm... i think it's a pretty safe assumption that the opposition legal team will try to portray him as a "gun nut" no matter what ammo he uses because... *drumroll* ...IT'S A FRICKIN' AR15!

if you wanna look like a responsible citizen for the jury, use a mossberg

then again, they'll probably call you a "gun nut" anyway simply because you own an AR15...
XD I justified the purchase to my anti-gun parents, so...

"I've found an accurate, reliable, highly customisable gun that will retain it's value, and has a wealth of spare parts and accessories widely available!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts