Reloading Safety Rules

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by wizard93, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Follow these precautions to assure maximum enjoyment and safety in reloading and uniform performance of your reloads. Remember you can suffer severe burns, be badly injured, or killed if the strictest safety precautions and housekeeping rules are not enforced.

1. Exercise care at all times. Wear safety glasses while reloading.

2. Never smoke while handling powder or primers or during any reloading operation.

3. Keep powder and primers away from heat, sparks and open flames.

4. Store powder in a cool, dry place at all times.

5. Never use a powder unless you are certain of its identity.
    -Always read warnings on powder and component container labels.
    -Always read and understand the instruction manual for your reloading machine/tools.
    -Always reload in strict compliance with instructions in current reloading manuals.

6. Do not mix powders.

7. Devote full attention to reloading operations. Avoid distractions. Combining a social visit and reloading is hazardous.

8. Keep powder and primers out of reach of children.

9. Use components as recommended. Don't take shortcuts.

10. Never exceed maximum recommended loads.

11. Examine every shell or cartridge before loading to insure good condition.

12. Double-check every operation for safety and uniformity.

13. Check powder charge level in shells to avoid double-charges.

14. On centerfire loads, start with charge weights 10% below recommended maximum loads, unless otherwise stated in the reloading manual.

15. Always watch for indications of excessive pressure.

16. Do not decap live primers. Destroy them first by firing the empty shell or cartridge in a firearm.

17. Do not substitute components, except bullets of the same type and weight from reputable manufacturers. It could result in a significant change in ballistics, and unsatisfactory or even dangerous load.

18. Observe all local fire regulations and codes with respect to quantities of powders and primers stored and conditions of storage.

19. Store powder in its original container. Never transfer it from one storage container to another since this increases the possibility of becoming mislabeled.

20. Never substitute smokeless powder for black powder or Pyrodex. Never mix smokeless powder and black or Pyrodex powder.

21. Label components and reloads for easy identification. Do not rely on memory.

22. Never reload during times of emotional stress or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Do not reload when judgment is impaired.

2. Hey Wizard
    Thanks.

You've got some good posts, good info and good links on reloading.

3. I felt it was necessary to post these safety rules. This is why we as reloaders are considered the most responsible gun owners out there. Not only do we need to understand and practice gun safety rules, but also the rules of reloading safety when we're assembling the rounds for our firearms. When you're touching off up to 60,000+ pounds of pressure just a few inches away from your face, you want to make absolutely sure that that round is put together the right way.

Once the hammer falls, you can't bring it back.

wizard93

4. Great post, but I've always been amazed you'd have to tell people not to smoke around powder they are possibly holding in their hands.

Dumb people scare me.

5. I had to go to several sources before I actually found a "list" of safety rules. Almost all of them were found in a small Winchester paperback load data manual. There were also some in an old Hodgdon manual. Surprisingly, I had to make up #22 myself, as nobody actually addressed the mental condition of the reloader, which really needs to be stable, calm, collected, etc. No one needs to be crying their eyes out while reloading because their girlfriend left them or something like that.

...It can also mean Do Not go off your medication and decide to start reloading. :shock: I'm sure someone somewhere has had to have done this. All we need is some unstable jerk to go on a shooting rampage and the media finds out that all the ammo the shooter used was loaded by himself. That'll give the government a reason to ban reloading for sure.

E-Bay already banned the sales of magazines and reloading components on their site because of the Virginia Tech shooting. Let's try not to give them a reason to ban presses, dies, etc. also.

wizard93