Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am making up rounds last night for my testing today and I came across some of my sellier & bellot brass, and it felt completely different when expanding and priming. It almost felt like the brass was thicker or just stiffer than the other brass I was using. I don't remember feeling anything different when I was sizing the brass though. And when inserting the primer it felt stiffer too, like the primer pocket was a little smaller.

Has anybody else noticed this, or am I the only one?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SW. I thought that might be what wass going on, but I only had five S&B cases and I had them all loaded before I thought about it and didn't want to pull them to caliper the cases to see if they were thicker.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
I have alot of mixed brass as well, and the S&B brass is harder to run through the dies, even the seating die.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Thank you for the heads up. I still plan on trying them since it appears they are closer to mil spec brass than most commercial stuff and might make better/safer +P reloads.

Commercial 308 brass is usually a bit thinner in the head area than 7.62NATO brass but i still prefer good old milspec when its available.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Only real difference I noticed with the S&B that has gotten into my brass mix is that it does take more force to seat the primer like the pocket is just a tint (1/2 a tad) smaller than the other brass. Other than that it works fine for me.
Wonder if using carbide dies causes me not to notice any other differences?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Thanks again.

I got a bunch of S&B for a ok price but dont have any carbide 9mm dies so i will put that on the list too.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
HMM good post. I was finding some of mine felt weired as well but i just figured it was due to the new dies. I found a few more that felt hard and check em ...yup S&B never noticed the brand before. Does anyone know why the S&B stuff is harder? I never look at factory ammo anymore..hell my 995 has never had a factory round through it..lol..Is the S&B stuff loaded hotter?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
S&B does claim a higher velocity for its brass and steel cased 115gr FMJ (1230fps) but it is based on a 6" barrel. Most other brands rate theirs with a 4-5" barrel at closer to 1150fps. I found one or 2 forums with posts claiming 1166fps from a pistol and over 1300fps from a carbine. One guy claimed he tested several common brands of 9mm "plinker" ammo and the S&B did come out slightly faster than the others from a carbine.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
most S&B ammo is also rated for use in open bolt SMGs which gives us the two issues. the brass is thicker and stronger to handle the increased unsuppored pressures of pre ignition, and the primers are more tightly seated in the pocket, preventing primer back out during pre ignition.

S&B is also loaded to "euro" power levels which are 5-10% hotter than american ammo. thats where you get the FPS boost. it verges on +P territory but not quite.

SW

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
That appears to be correct. Several Czech firearm companies test their guns with S&B ammo and ive heard the military does also.

Its surprisingly clean for imported ammo. Reducing loads slightly when first reloading with their brass would be prudent until you check for over pressure signs. Thicker can mean less capacity by a small amount. ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
ive got a question about s&b brass.. i was cleaning a bunch of my 9mm caseings in the home made case cleaner Hipoint45 posted awhile ago. Anyway upon rinseing the cases off i noticed 2 of them were no longer brass but copper. After looking at the caes both of the now copper cases were S&B. anyone ever notice this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could be a fluke, but I had 2 reloads get stuck in my C9. They were loaded with x.x grains of bullseye shooting a 125gr LRN. Both were S&B cases. I stopped shooting them after that. And when I say stuck, I mean I had to put something down the end of the barrel and push the case out because the extractor wasnt applying enough pull to get it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts