Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this isn't a super stupid question, but can you reload steel casings? I know the whole berdan and boxer thing, but can carbide dies handle the steel? Will that compromise the polymer coating? Any thoughts?

TT

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Yes, yes, and yes.

yes it can be done. but when you consider the wear on your dies, and the fact they only last one or two reloads. it really isnt worth it.

yes carbide can handle the steel but will wear out at least 10x as fast.

yes it compromises the poly coating. the carbide dies wipe off any residual that left after firing.

thoughts? unless its for an esoteric caliber that you cant get any other ammo for, go for it. if not, its not really worth it. during the height of the ammo shortage, there were a couple guys on here building AK ammo on steel cases.

SW

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That was very informative and helpful. I'm new to the reloading thing, so I still have lots of questions.

Thanks again!

TT

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Tower, just ask the question. Seriously, when you consider the risks involved in reloading, your personal safety is paramount to anything else. There is no such thing as a stupid question considering the risk factors here.

Also, do a quick search/look around this forum board. Alot of these questions have been asked before and the information is available.

Again, don't be afraid to ask, that's what we're here for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts