Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,238 Posts
The Remington 597s in .22LR and .22 WMR are not subject to the recall, only the .17HMR. And the .17HMR ammunition is still considered safe to be used in bolt-action or single-shot rifles.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
More than likely, just a CYA move to ensure that should someone blow themselves up using it in a semi-auto, Remington can say "well, we told you not to use it, and even tried to get you to send it back to us." Over at Rimfirecentral, a Remington representative was asked about the ammo, and he replied that it was safe in bolt guns and single shots, but for some reason, semi-autos are bad news. I have an H&R single shot, and was instructed that it was safe to use Remington ammo in it. He also said, BTW, that all .17HMR ammo on the market is made by one company, and then farmed out to the other companies to package and market, so the ammo recall notice against using it in semis could be read to include all .17 HMR ammo on the market.

I think it is pretty bad that they are giving you a $10 coupon for a $15 box of ammo, though. And $250 for the laminated stock 597 HMR? Those guns are selling for upwards of $400 now... come on Remington, you gotta try harder than that!

· Registered
1,238 Posts
i think remy might get sued over thier lowball price. you cant screw people over on a product liek that and not pay them full retail rpice. as long as they can com eup with proof of purchase price, remy should refund that in full

SW
Especially considering they are not giving a refund per se, but rather a coupon good toward the purchase of another Remington product... yeah, thanks Remington.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Sorry to hear some of you might gett shafted on the price. I'd been looking at the Remington 597 22lr with scope at Academy for my daughter at $180 but this has kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Time to look at the Marlin and Savage I guess. X
I have had no problems at all out of my 597 .22LR, and it shoots some of the tightest groups I have ever shot out of a rifle. Bass Pro had one listed for something like $140 this past weekend, no scope, which I recommend, because if you buy the scope package, you do not get the fixed sights.

According to the folks at rimfirecentral, other semi-auto .17HMRs are known to have KB issues, too. Volquartsen looks to be the one safe bet, but then, at four figure prices, it dang well ought to be a safe bet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.