Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
885 Posts
The problem seems to be ALL 17HMR Semi-Autos are considered unsafe. I know some makers stopped production a while ago due to too many failures. The main failure seems to be case ruptures in dirty chambers. The recall is supposed to effect all semi-autos and no bolt guns. The Remington recall states semi-autos only. I know of some major problems with the Excel MR-17, they have a long and very bad history of blown cases. About the only rifle that does not have a lot of trouble is the Volquartsen. Most 17HMR shooters will tell you the rifles shoot best with a some what dirty barrel. My Savage 93R17 BTVS won't group well until I shoot 20 or so rounds after a complete cleaning.

Remington seems to be low balling on the buy back. I believe the cost on the 597 is about double the buy back offer.

CCI recalled some 17HMR ammo, but I'm unsure of what loadings.

Ron M.

· Premium Member
885 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the same ammo is re boxed with a warning label "DO NOT USE IN SEMI-AUTO FIREARMS" or something to that effect.

Ron M.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.